• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by superbikepics
Sartorially challenged - I searched and searched and then tried and tried the various formulas for shoe shining, and at least for me, the winning formula is the one St. Crispin's offers on their website. I've gone through my entire 'collection' and applied the same treatment to all. The best advice I have ever taken with regards to shoes is to give them a thorough cleaning and shine before the first wearing. The folds that develop on the first and subsequent wearings just seem to wear more evenly, and subsequent polishings seem to result in a more even finish overall. Hard to explain really.

I'll get to posting more pics shortly!

Regards,

Ryan

Thank you for the tip!

My question related more to the techniques of shoe shining you use rather than the products. How long does it take for you to produce a shine like that on a pair?

superbikepics

Reaction score
The St. Crispin's page on shoe shining goes right to the point of your inquiry. I spend about 45 minutes to an hour getting the shine to the level you saw on the Barker Black Granthams. Subsequent shines take 5-10 minutes, including brushing the dust/dirt out of the welt area. This 45-60 muntes accounts for the total shining and drying time between thin coats of polish. The prep work is done the day before...to wash the shoe with saddle soap, allow to dry, then brush, then give it the turpentine rub-down then let the turpentine dry/evaporate overnight, or at a minimum 4 hours). I hope that helps. I'd estimate I have no more than 3-4 coats of polish on the toe and heel counter, and 2-3 on the rest, less so near the laces, since I like a little bit of shiny/semi-matte contrast on my shoes.

Regards,

Ryan

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
The I spend about 45 minutes to an hour getting the shine to the level you saw...
An hour for a pair!
plain.gif

Guess I won't be doing that.

superbikepics

Reaction score
Sartorially Challenged - I get you. Never thought I would spend that kind of time, but I force myself to do it with every new pair, before I wear them out for the first time. The 1-hour of effort is like a country club initiation fee (not that I know anything about that), wherein the startup cost is high, but the annual membership fee (in this case, the 5-15 minutes of refreshing after a dozen wearings or so), is worth the continued investment of my time. Or it may be because I'm "sick" and simply find shoe shining a bit therapeutic after the weeklong grind at work.

You know who notices shined shoes the most, at least so far as my experience is concerned? Older men, women of all ages, and foreigners. Foreigners the most, and I'd suspect it's because shining ones shoes is still a lesson passed on from father to son in places beyond the US border.

Regards,

Ryan

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got the St. Crispins Pret-a-Porter page bookmarked too-used to use one of the shoes as my avatar. By referencing that page I've been able to get a beautiful shine & patina on my shoes. It takes time but is definitely worth it. Well done Ryan! Edit, it was a shoe from Marc Guyot's page

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sartorially Challenged - I get you. Never thought I would spend that kind of time, but I force myself to do it with every new pair, before I wear them out for the first time. The 1-hour of effort is like a country club initiation fee (not that I know anything about that), wherein the startup cost is high, but the annual membership fee (in this case, the 5-15 minutes of refreshing after a dozen wearings or so), is worth the continued investment of my time. Or it may be because I'm "sick" and simply find shoe shining a bit therapeutic after the weeklong grind at work.

You know who notices shined shoes the most, at least so far as my experience is concerned? Older men, women of all ages, and foreigners. Foreigners the most, and I'd suspect it's because shining ones shoes is still a lesson passed on from father to son in places beyond the US border.

Regards,

Ryan

Originally Posted by bigbris1
I've got the St. Crispins Pret-a-Porter page bookmarked too-used to use one of the shoes as my avatar. By referencing that page I've been able to get a beautiful shine & patina on my shoes. It takes time but is definitely worth it.

Well done Ryan!

Edit, it was a shoe from Marc Guyot's page

Quick question for you guys...

When St. Crispin's suggests using Saphir, Medaille D'Or shoe cream, do you use a colored cream or a neutral cream?

It seems that a colored cream would dye the shoe making the patina less apparent.

superbikepics

Reaction score
wiliam - I use creams for 'odd' colors, like my pewter Barker Blacks. For any of the 'standard' colors, like lt, med, and dk browns, mahogany, black, burgundy, and cordovan, I use polishes. All are Saphir product, except for cordovan, in which case I use Shell 8 polish from Alden. I've not been able to raise a shine quite like I get using polish when using creams. I have not used Crema Alpina, which I hear does give you a good shine as a finisher following several cream coats. I have no personal experience though. One last thing - I don't recall mentioning this before, but I use Saphir's Renovateur cream on shell cordovan afer the turpentine rub down and prior to any coats of polish.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ryan

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
Nice antiquing on that cat's tail...

Really tough to make it sit still for the buffing.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Vintage Made in Italy for Saks Fifth Ave. Sea Turtle skin Norwegian toe bluchers:

2425516167_ec6e43872f.jpg

Did you steal those from kitonbrioni?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Vintage Made in Italy for Saks Fifth Ave. Sea Turtle skin Norwegian toe bluchers:
2425516167_ec6e43872f.jpg

Oh my, these shoes are gorgeous! I love the color, style, and of course the exotic leather. Fantastic! Are they vintage?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Oh my, these shoes are gorgeous! I love the color, style, and of course the exotic leather. Fantastic! Are they vintage?
Yes, they appear to be from the '60s. I wonder who the Italian manufacturer for Saks was at that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads