• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HE's TAUNTING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!
censored.gif
censored.gif
censored.gif
censored.gif
censored.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I really like the Norweger on that last
9-k.jpg

(I'd prefer a leather sole).

I agree. Even better is a Norweger ankle boot, with leather sole of course

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
+1

Same here. I find my sleek shoes "that bind the feet" very comfortable as is and don't see the need for an extra 2 inches of height in the toe box...
confused.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Same here. I find my sleek shoes "that bind the feet" very comfortable as is and don't see the need for an extra 2 inches of height in the toe box...
confused.gif

That extra 2 inches makes them look like an actual boat. Too bulky imho.

dokelroth

Reaction score
It seems like these shoes above are for people who don't fit easily into one stylistic box. At least that is what it seems like from the WAYWT pictures of the guys who like them, they are more difficult to pin down. Maybe the ones who don't have a style that is a little more straight and narrow.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
That extra 2 inches makes them look like an actual boat. Too bulky imho.

+1, dare I say it but.. in a way they remind me of all those shoes we usually only mention in the same sentence as obscenities, like Kenneth Coles... stylistically that is.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No way, no way, these are in no way like KCs. I would have a pair already if they were more readily available.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Those who have not handled or tried a pair of Budapester should not comment negatively based on a scan or two. I was converted when I saw a pair in the flesh.
+1. They really are fabulous shoes with a ton of style. They are not the norm, and they are not sleek, but in my book they blow doors off of most shoes that people go nuts for on this site and AAAC. I do not wear them because they are comfortable, I wear them because the aesthetics of the Budapester kick ass.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not always about sleek-sleek-sleek. I don't get you guys who keep thinking that. Is a 2008 Lamborghini prettier than an old Bentley? How many pointy, chiseled, high waisted, bevel-welted shoes can you have?

there is room for both.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
+1. They really are fabulous shoes with a ton of style. They are not the norm, and they are not sleek, but in my book they blow doors off of most shoes that people go nuts for on this site and AAAC. I do not wear them because they are comfortable, I wear them because the aesthetics of the Budapester kick ass.

agree with all this. Maybe it's because I wear a smaller size shoe (41EU) but the Budapesters dont appear that big and bulky when worn, even tho they are, comparatively. The Budapester aesthetic really is a thing of beauty once you can really *see* them. It's sort of like how people can listen to the same piece of music, but there are those that really *hear* it in a way another doesn't.

Originally Posted by Tarmac
How many pointy, chiseled, high waisted, bevel-welted shoes can you have?

The pendulum of taste on forums has really swung towards the ubersleek, pointy-chisel shapes, which is fine as I appreciate that style as well but it seems that really feminine shaped shoes get a lot of hyped love. The Budapester has a masculine form and physical aggressiveness to it that I like. An artisan shoe that you can bootparty someone in.

I was originally going to get something from G&Gs last tour thru LA, but opted to go with the Budapester instead and it was the right decision for me. I'm already thinking about a 2nd order, also on the Budapest last...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
It's not always about sleek-sleek-sleek. I don't get you guys who keep thinking that. Is a 2008 Lamborghini prettier than an old Bentley? How many pointy, chiseled, high waisted, bevel-welted shoes can you have?

there is room for both.

this is what i try to say all the time but people here dont listen.

like cmon, just because the toebox is peculiarly unique means you cannot like it? and cannot buy it and wear it? there is room for all kinds of aesthetics in life. especially for shoes. i would personally be bored the hell out of my mind if all 100 shoes in my closet were EG and CJ plain black captoes 337 ./888/666 whatever.
oh but they are sleek. yes .they are elegant. yes. but dang . i will commit suicide.

give me some variety . and some fun. and some gangsta foot wear. i dont know what i just said, but you get what i mean

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
After 6 months from ordering, the gunboats have sailed in

GS, great shoes! The navy color makes them even cooler than the average Budapester. Do you plan on wearing these with no-break dress pants, or possibly denim? I don't think they will look good with the TaT slim cut, maybe you can pull it off though.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
GS, great shoes! The navy color makes them even cooler than the average Budapester. Do you plan on wearing these with no-break dress pants, or possibly denim? I don't think they will look good with the TaT slim cut, maybe you can pull it off though.
thanks Lseca...yes, mostly they will be worn with denim or no-break trousers. I doubt I will wear these with a suit. I think slim suits look better with a slim shoe. The incongruency of the Budapester and a slimsuit could be odd

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It seems everyone hates the Budapest last in pictures. I didn't even like it myself before I visited the Vass shop and saw it in person for the first time. When seen in person it seems to be a 50/50 split, guys either really love it or really hate it. I'm a big fan personally - nearly all Vass shoes I own are on the Budapest last. I think slim, elegant shoes have their place, but also think that they, more often than not, look wrong with the sorts of clothes I wear Budapests with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics