• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 16520Man
JL Jermyn II in dark oak calf:

JLJermynII01.jpg

wow. jermyn 2s in dark oak....

mmmm...jermynII in dark oak.....*arhaghghhahghghhghhh***

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very nice Jermyn II's!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

mussel

Reaction score
I was polishing my C&J Canterbury in dark brown burnished calf in prep for work tomorrow. After several dozen wears, they seem to have warmed up.

I'm wondering: are they pr0nworthy?

CJCanterbury.jpg

Definitely pr0nworthy. They look even better than spanking new ones. Much better. They have more characters and patina start to come thru. I wish there were more pictures of worn and well polished shoes.

Originally Posted by ABALO
Damage from Paris

dscn1535dt7.jpg

dscn1539gb1.jpg

dscn1542ng6.jpg

Amazing. What's the make? Corthay?

Originally Posted by diorshoe
my Lobb Sandon

IMGP3382.jpg

It's not hardcore pr0n if there's no shoe tree penetration! Beautiful color.

JL Jermyn II in dark oak calf:

JLJermynII01.jpg

The Jermyn II really looks gorgeous in dark oak.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
Amazing. What's the make? Corthay?
Unless I am dreadfully wrong, those are from Altan. There is something flimsy about Altan shoes, in my humble opinion. I prefer Gomez or Delos...

ABALO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Unless I am dreadfully wrong, those are from Altan. There is something flimsy about Altan shoes, in my humble opinion. I prefer Gomez or Delos...

I would prefer Gomez or Delos as well... But you compare shoes at 350 € to bespoke models worth around 2 500 €...

Kamala

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ABALO
I would prefer Gomez or Delos as well... But you compare shoes at 350 € to bespoke models worth around 2 500 €...

I agree totally. I wish we could get Altan shoes in the U.S.!! By the way, beautiful shoes.

mussel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
This thread needs to be a sticky (shameless bump on my part)

I second (or is it third, 4th or 5th..?) to make this thread sticky.

HappymaN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

Hey RJ, have you been to Altan? When I was in Paris a few months ago, I walked past both stores, one on rue Miromesnil (sp?) and another a few blocks from Arny's. Both were closed, are they by appointment only?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones Dartmouth, dark brown suede. Purchased from Plal. I love the last and the contrast laces.
img0561lg7.jpg
img0564sr0.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Khoa
Hey RJ, have you been to Altan? When I was in Paris a few months ago, I walked past both stores, one on rue Miromesnil (sp?) and another a few blocks from Arny's. Both were closed, are they by appointment only?

I've been to the one on rue Notre Dame des Champs, near Arnys (note absence of apostrophe, there's no "Arny" around). I've never bought anything from there, but the people are very nice. Altan and the French Alan Flusser, Marc Guyot, collaborate sometimes. Marc's shoe designs are sold at Paul Stuart -- they are similar in inspiration to the Altans.

The Altan shops are not by appointment only to the best of my knowledge. However, in France most shops are not open on Sundays, and many smaller or more traditional shops are not open during lunch hours or on one day of the week.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My first pair of Greens, now some 15 years old:

p1000223gt2.jpg

After they were resoled for the third or fourth time (I can't remember) and the uppers began to flake and crack, I started wearing them as rain shoes. Eventually the elements just overwhelmed them, as you can see.

Replacements:

p1000226pg2.jpg

p1000227yu4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads