• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage - Literally

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wore my Martegani monks yesterday and didn't notice this until the end of the day. I really don't know how I did this, but the damage is done so there it is. The question I have is how do I go about repairing this as best possible. Is this something for a cobbler to look at? Or is this a home repair job and, if so, how? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

jpg.jpg

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You didn't feel you foot hitting the wood chipper?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Baron, can you just buff that out?

I'd have to remove all of the dangling bits first, right? That's the question - not sure how to fix this properly. It's not a big deal really - patina and all that. I just want to make sure I don't do something stupid and make it worse.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'd have to remove all of the dangling bits first, right? That's the question - not sure how to fix this properly. It's not a big deal really - patina and all that. I just want to make sure I don't do something stupid and make it worse.

hehe i was just kidding, trying to be funny.
no, leave it the way it is and take it to your local shoe cobbler. i have one near my home who can do some wonders with damaged leather, so im thinking they all may have this related skill set. see what they say.

it won't come out looking new but at least you won't see the damage resewn from a body's distance.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you'd have felt it if you hadn't been wearing the shoes.

Last time I did something like that to my shoes it was with the drawer to a filing cabinet. I really thought it was high enough pass over my shoes. Nope.

Xenon

Reaction score
No don't remove the dangling bits. The surface of leather needs to be retained

First use a bit of water to straighten the dangling leather (bits). Use your fingers to pull them gently straight (not to remove but make fibers straight). You will now have clean straight leather flaps

Once dry use a bit of glue (carpenter glue is OK but water resistent cements are better) and aply thinly to the open wounds (underneath dangling leather). Then place the dangling fiber flaps back into there respective wound and apply a bit of pressure to even out using the back of a spoon or some hard smooth object. The dangling flaps should now be perfectly flat and in thier original places. The best results will be acheived if no leather has actually been lost.

Now take a very lightly damp cloth and remove excess glue with the grain of the leather flaps (you do not want the flaps to lift up). let dry.

Apply wax to protect

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont cut or tear off any of the dangling bits. It can be carefully glued down,possibly lightly sanded to smooth out the deep gashes, re-stained, and then will need to be waxed like hell to give it anything remotely smooth looking. It will still end up with a hell of a lot of "patina" though.

I wouldn't attempt any of the above myself, I'd get an experienced cobblers estimate, to see if its worth it.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paging RIDER. Sorry to see that Baron. I kind of cringed.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought these from Ron 3 or 4 years ago. A custom order.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm taking these to the cobbler.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads