• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe creasing problem!

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
So.

I finally managed to get a pair of BBBF shell longwings which I've wanted for basically ever and they're awesome shoes and feel great. Fit is excellent, need a break-in but already quite comfy. However, after wearing them for one day (bought new in box), I have discovered a problem, depicted in yonder video:

See how the right shoe creases perfectly, but the left seems to have one crease at the vamp, and then the next few inches of leather are stiff enough such that they do not crease and instead a crease forms in the middle of the toe cap over the broguing? Apparently the leather over the lower part of the vamp before the toe cap is unwilling to bend, and the path of least resistance is simply to push that patch of leather forward over top of the toe cap, creating a lump.

Any input or ideas on this? I already emailed aldenshoe.com but I have no idea what their email response habits are or if I even directed the inquiry to the right people.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Negative! Brooks Brothers no longer sells 'em. I purchased them from someone who purchased two pairs when BB was selling the shoes, but never wore his "backup" pair and eventually decided to part with them. It'd really suck to have to give them up immediately after finally getting them, I've wanted this particular shoe for a while.

They're currently sitting on trees pending some sort of response from Alden, but I guess I could talk to BB if that doesn't pan out.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Negative! Brooks Brothers no longer sells 'em. I purchased them from someone who purchased two pairs when BB was selling the shoes, but never wore his "backup" pair and eventually decided to part with them. It'd really suck to have to give them up immediately after finally getting them, I've wanted this particular shoe for a while.

They're currently sitting on trees pending some sort of response from Alden, but I guess I could talk to BB if that doesn't pan out.

I had issues with several pair of Aldens in the past (which is why I never purchase them anymore). The response from the company has been less than stellar. They did authorize a 100% refund from the retailer on one occasion, however. I really doubt that they will be willing to fix this.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
someone screw up the cap when they made it I guess...?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is always a good idea to 'set' the creases where you want them.

Take the length of a pencil, hold it down firmly with both hands over the spot you want the crease to develop and flex the foot several times (still pressing down with the pencil).

You might want to repeat the exercise a few times. That should do the trick.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yea but the toe cap is flexing, that wasn't suppose to happen at all, no?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see the problem. At all. Can't believe there's actually a video of this. :facepalm:

Looks like you have slightly different shaped feet, which is normal. And you probably lead with your right foot, putting more pressure on the toebox when you walk.

Last edited:

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
You really don't think that's an abnormal creasing pattern?

The toe cap shouldn't crease at all, afaik. Normally I'd think creasing too far forward is a sign of the wrong length shoe, but not so here. The shoe isn't creasing, it's like shell cordovan subduction. It's not folding; instead, one piece of leather is pushing up over the other piece of leather creating a bubble. I don't know what it'd look like after 100 wears, but I don't think it's supposed to do that.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't see the problem. At all. Can't believe there's actually a video of this. :facepalm:

Looks like you have slightly different shaped feet, which is normal. And you probably lead with your right foot, putting more pressure on the toebox when you walk.

well, he is going to get a creasing on toebox in the long run (or a hump)...

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Yeah, I posted this in the Alden thread and someone responded that they had the same problem, which ultimately ended up like this:

8659ac91_2013-07-0614.20.39.jpeg

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea but the toe cap is flexing, that wasn't suppose to happen at all, no?

If you watch the video very carefully, toe cap is creasing AT the edge of the toe stiffeners. Not at the actual toe cap.

This means the shoes are too long/big for him. Or to a lesser extend, the creases are not set in properly.

It is always a good idea to 'set' the creases where you want them.

Take the length of a pencil, hold it down firmly with both hands over the spot you want the crease to develop and flex the foot several times (still pressing down with the pencil).

You might want to repeat the exercise a few times. That should do the trick.

+1

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
The pencil thing does not do anything to alleviate the problem. As I said, apparently another member had the same thing happen and Alden said it was a defect. I'm waiting to hear something from them.

The shoes fit just fine - snugger than a couple of my other Aldens, actually. I would be unable to size down.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the shoes. It is the natural way of your feet, either change them for new ones or else just accept it and get on with life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads