• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe creases - Help!

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
I always get annoyed after the first day of wearing new shoes. Scuffing the new leather sole and starting wear on the heal are some of the things that make me feel this way. But I really hate those creases in the vamp area!
mad.gif

I've seen few people who get nearly no creases and the shoes don't even look new.

I am interested in knowing whether anyone here gets little/no creases and please share your secret . . .

How can they be prevented?
Polish and store x days before wearing? How you walk? When buying, buy a shoe that feels extra snug?

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Hmmm . . . 46 people have viewed so far and none replied . . .

Either no answers or not a topic worth discussing . . .

Anyway, just an attempt at getting some views/answers/opinions.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) always use shoe trees.

2) if you're getting more scuffs than usual, polish your shoes more often than usual.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
How can they be prevented?
Polish and store x days before wearing? How you walk? When buying, buy a shoe that feels extra snug?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You should definitely not change your gait or the way you walk , to prevent shoes, or anything to compromise with the wearing of any shoes , that is just to bad. the shoes are made to comfort your natural walk , not be the master and dictator of your every move. that is a badly made shoe then.

also the right size is important in many factors including the right creasing or minimal creasing. i found in the past that my shoes would crease strangely when i wear shoes that are too loose or improperly fit.
kind of like your elbows hitting the wrong spot on a improperly fit suit jacket.

good shoes or any shoes should and can be worn right out of the box right from the store. no need to let them wait for a period because there is no need. if you think they need to wait in the box, just think that the retailer already had them sitting in the box for a while.
if you polish , you can immediately wear them as well. polishing or creaming does not affect or have anything to do with creasing.

creasing is all about the quality of your leather and the fit. and putting on shoetrees. trees do help in minimizing creasing a bit, but creasing still is inevitable . leathers i find is the biggest dictation in creasing factor.

good shoe leather creases either minimally (usually thicker meatier english top grade leathers) i can wear the heck out of them and they still look almost uncreased.
or they can crease beautifully like my premium italian shoes (except for a couple) usually they are a thinner variety but still they crease with the slight diagonal single valley across the vamp.

if you see any type of extra lumpy hills and valleys (like a macdonald arch from the side going across) as creases , that is just a sign of poor quality grade leather OR it may be decent leather but the manufacturer has put too much of it in certain areas of the shoe like the vamp.
so quality in the manufacture and craft of the shoes come into play for creasing as well.
hopes this help alittle.

imo, i dont mind creasing if it naturally appears in a slight diagonal single valley.
a little creasing makes shoes more attractive in my opinion. even brand new shoes i buy if i wont wear them for a while, i will put them on and step and crease them a little as it adds a little more body and character to the shoes.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
You should definitely not change your gait or the way you walk , to prevent shoes, or anything to compromise with the wearing of any shoes , that is just to bad. the shoes are made to comfort your natural walk , not be the master and dictator of your every move. that is a badly made shoe then.

also the right size is important in many factors including the right creasing or minimal creasing. i found in the past that my shoes would crease strangely when i wear shoes that are too loose or improperly fit.
kind of like your elbows hitting the wrong spot on a improperly fit suit jacket.

good shoes or any shoes should and can be worn right out of the box right from the store. no need to let them wait for a period because there is no need. if you think they need to wait in the box, just think that the retailer already had them sitting in the box for a while.
if you polish , you can immediately wear them as well. polishing or creaming does not affect or have anything to do with creasing.

creasing is all about the quality of your leather and the fit. and putting on shoetrees. trees do help in minimizing creasing a bit, but creasing still is inevitable . leathers i find is the biggest dictation in creasing factor.

good shoe leather creases either minimally (usually thicker meatier english top grade leathers) i can wear the heck out of them and they still look almost uncreased.
or they can crease beautifully like my premium italian shoes (except for a couple) usually they are a thinner variety but still they crease with the slight diagonal single valley across the vamp.

if you see any type of extra lumpy hills and valleys (like a macdonald arch from the side going across) as creases , that is just a sign of poor quality grade leather OR it may be decent leather but the manufacturer has put too much of it in certain areas of the shoe like the vamp.
so quality in the manufacture and craft of the shoes come into play for creasing as well.
hopes this help alittle.

Good post. In my experience creasing occurs in more or less all shoes, I have some EG and JL shoes with creases (although as diorshoe said, they are much smaller than those in say, Gucci)

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I always use shoe trees too, but I guess creasing is somewhat inevitable.

diorshoe, thanks for the tips.

I am not a knowledge database on this yet, but apart from C&J who uses top quality english leather in making their shoes?

Also have you got pics or posted ones earlier of shoes with what you would call acceptable/minimal creasing?

TyskJohan

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed is that shoes with a really shiny finish (but not patent leather) will crease much more, and much more quickly, than the ones with a silky, matte finish. Get shoes with a matte finish, dry them well and grease/polish them afterwards, use shoe horns, only wear them every other day - and mirror shine them by hand if you want them to be shiny.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy better shoes and keep shoe trees in them. Simple as that.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
I am not a knowledge database on this yet, but apart from C&J who uses top quality english leather in making their shoes?

Also have you got pics or posted ones earlier of shoes with what you would call acceptable/minimal creasing?

here is a picture of a shoe straight from the box. it is a santoni remington semi brogue and a shoe like this I would prefer some creasing on as it looks funny too pristine like this:

IMGP2311.jpg

this is a picture of a santoni braden that i worn often and kept trees in them, but the creasing is there but imo done very beatifully, i rather like it this way then to have it a straight untouched vamp:

IMGP2196.jpg

IMGP2190.jpg

here's a picture of my allen edmonds (i multicolored polished them, but thats besides the issue) and they have held up pretty much creaseless due to their thicker leathers in some of their models:

IMGP2114.jpg

these are my hugo boss wingtips that have creased tremendously , but in this case they creasing was done in a good way, even though the shoe doesnt sit straight and is heavily creased (due to poorer materials and craftsmanship) the unintended result was a beautiful crease job imo

IMGP2130.jpg

here is a picture of my Allen edmond bradleys that i wear as my heavy authoritative clunker shoes, but the creasing was not occuring at first, so I INTENTIONALLY squeezed them and creased them by kneeling and stooping on my toes and not keeping them in trees for the first few wears so I can get a heavy , manly , WORN and BATTLED look out of these:
IMGP2203.jpg

shoes like edward green and john lobb, c&j, are all standard premium grade english makes that will answer your concern about creasing.

makes like barker , trickers, grensons, etc. im not too sure as i dont have any first hand experience with them.

billiebob

Reaction score
My creasing is also bad, huge M-shaped valleys on all my shoes, EGs, Alden, Loakes, whatever. I always use shoe trees, but it's the way they fit in the vamp I think causes it.

I have a very steep rise to a high arch, so there is always a lot of leather left unfilled in front of the laces.

Most of my shoes are well-sized, and some are blissfully comfortable, like Alden and EG, but they all ripple, cordovan most deeply. It's so thick.

The diagonal ripples I really don't like, so when I see them forming on new shoes I also adjust my gait for the first few wearings.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
Thanks guys.

I always use shoe trees too, but I guess creasing is somewhat inevitable.

diorshoe, thanks for the tips.

EG and JL would also be companies that use top quality English leather.

These are AEs that I bought used, but personally I like the way that the creasing looks on these. I think this is a really nice look for this type of shoe, creasing is inevitable for the majority of fits, but it can also look elegant and classy.

aec1ik5.jpg

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
EG and JL would also be companies that use top quality English leather.

These are AEs that I bought used, but personally I like the way that the creasing looks on these. I think this is a really nice look for this type of shoe, creasing is inevitable for the majority of fits, but it can also look elegant and classy.

This is one reason I like captoe bluchers, which don't get all that much love here.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
here is a picture of a shoe straight from the box. it is a santoni remington semi brogue and a shoe like this I would prefer some creasing on as it looks funny too pristine like this:

IMGP2311.jpg

this is a picture of a santoni braden that i worn often and kept trees in them, but the creasing is there but imo done very beatifully, i rather like it this way then to have it a straight untouched vamp:

IMGP2196.jpg

IMGP2190.jpg

here's a picture of my allen edmonds (i multicolored polished them, but thats besides the issue) and they have held up pretty much creaseless due to their thicker leathers in some of their models:

IMGP2114.jpg

these are my hugo boss wingtips that have creased tremendously , but in this case they creasing was done in a good way, even though the shoe doesnt sit straight and is heavily creased (due to poorer materials and craftsmanship) the unintended result was a beautiful crease job imo

IMGP2130.jpg

here is a picture of my Allen edmond bradleys that i wear as my heavy authoritative clunker shoes, but the creasing was not occuring at first, so I INTENTIONALLY squeezed them and creased them by kneeling and stooping on my toes and not keeping them in trees for the first few wears so I can get a heavy , manly , WORN and BATTLED look out of these:
IMGP2203.jpg

shoes like edward green and john lobb, c&j, are all standard premium grade english makes that will answer your concern about creasing.

makes like barker , trickers, grensons, etc. im not too sure as i dont have any first hand experience with them.

Thanks diorshoe, your shoes DO crease incredibly well, I especially like the Hugo Boss wing tip
inlove.gif
. The closest I have to creasing like any of these is a pair of Maglis. I will try and post pics (a first for me).

I am new to this forum and only just started my first purchase of what I call "SF approved" shoes - Marteganni's

http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=27540.

Next I think I will go for C&J - either Clifford or Drummond; I like the Drummond last better, but can't seem to find them discounted, they are $500 retail in NY.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
My creasing is also bad, huge M-shaped valleys on all my shoes, EGs, Alden, Loakes, whatever. I always use shoe trees, but it's the way they fit in the vamp I think causes it.

I have a very steep rise to a high arch, so there is always a lot of leather left unfilled in front of the laces.

Most of my shoes are well-sized, and some are blissfully comfortable, like Alden and EG, but they all ripple, cordovan most deeply. It's so thick.

The diagonal ripples I really don't like, so when I see them forming on new shoes I also adjust my gait for the first few wearings.

I have all my "spaces filled in front of the laces", or at least it feels like it and I have a relatively flat foot with perhaps a lowish instep. Don't know if this has anything to do with it but the last few purchases I have made seem to crease horribly wrong - granted none of these would pass muster here on SF. Haven't tried the Martegannis yet . . . We'll see.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
let me tell you imo your particularly low instep will account for a natural occurrence of more leather in the vamp area and cause more creasing.

most rtw premium shoes come with a sort of a high instep 'sloped' quarters from the vamp which looks very elegant and is usually filled in by most men's instep bones. but yours may leave empty space there accounting for the bunching of leather to crease acrosss the vamp more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads