1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe creases - Help!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaveitothexperts, Oct 5, 2006.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Hmm, that is a decent amount of creasing. Can you tell if those shoes use corrected grain? What retail price were they?

2. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

Hmm, that is a decent amount of creasing. Can you tell if those shoes use corrected grain? What retail price were they?

I am not sure how to tell whether it is corrected grain.

Retail: The new one is $675 (although I remember someone having made a comment "they have gotta be smoking something to put a $675 tag on it". The other magli (3rd pic) is more than 2 yrs old and I believe the retail was around $480

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

from my experience bruno magli does not really use corrected grain but they do use some sub par grain leathers for their lower models ranging retail in the 300-400 dollars.

the first shoe split toe has a decent crease mark on it, and if that all that shows then i think it looks great.

the wingtip however i am pretty sure it is the subpar quality of the leather that is making it wrinkle in so many different directions and not clean.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I took a shot on some Maglis from Sierra Trading Post, thinking they might be worth the STP price. When they arrived, they were creased terribly. Someone must have tried them on before me, though the soles didn't show any wear. The uppers looked like my Wright Arch-Preservers after 18 months of wear. And I paid $30 for those.

Figuring this was a very bad sign, I sent 'em back.

5. seok

seok Senior member

i personally found santonis to have some of the least creasing in my shoe collection...anyone concur? (vs. grenson, cheaney, AE)

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i personally found santonis to have some of the least creasing in my shoe collection...anyone concur? (vs. grenson, cheaney, AE)

i have 2 santoni orange socks and 1 goodyear fam. surprisingly, the goodyear creases more. but creasing shows usage, like how pages roll in a book, and should be worn with pride, imo.

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i have the braden, brenden, and darren from their classic collection and found that they do crease initially the first couple of wears but then set and then no more creasing occurs ever again.

my fams i have noticed that they crease slightly more than the classic, but i may think it is psychological because i am more conscious of what is going on with my beloved fams more than anything else.

however, like any good shoe, i do prefer some proper creasing rather than a pristine straight vamp. looks unworn.

when i wear new shoes and see they dont have any creasing, i tend to think people may think i just got them.
    i like to show that my shoes have some history and character.

8. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

from my experience bruno magli does not really use corrected grain but they do use some sub par grain leathers for their lower models ranging retail in the 300-400 dollars.

the first shoe split toe has a decent crease mark on it, and if that all that shows then i think it looks great.

the wingtip however i am pretty sure it is the subpar quality of the leather that is making it wrinkle in so many different directions and not clean.

It is the firts day and this much is showing on the split toe already; that's my real concern. However, as you said it may just be that the creasing occurs in the first few wears and then little/none.