• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe construction...behind the veil

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because gemming is teh :drool:

Sorry to say but crafting handmade/bespoken shoos is a dying art.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ chogall. Without meaning to be awkward I must say I am finding your posts somewhat unintelligible.

It would appear to coin a phrase, you don't know what you are talking about.

Nope I am not the expert. But I do know a few shoe manufacturers.

Better lasts would make a huge difference. It would at least get them to the stage where I would be willing to look at the other factors such as pattern making, leather quality, etc.etc. At the moment I simply can't get past the uninspired lasts.

DC Lewis. Made in Taiwan/Vietnam.

Why has goodyear welting become almost a standard in RTW shoemaking if it has all of these inherent problems? I don't understand why shoe manufacterers don't just use blake/rapid construction which has the benefits of stitching, but none of the time, money and skill constraints of handwelting? Makes no sense to me.

Glued rubber sole is the standard, goodyear welt is high quality standard nowadays. The slippery slope that DWII talked about.

Its easier to tool for Mckay/Blake than to tool for goodyear welt or blake rapid. I know people who hand cut (w/ scissor), hand last, but uses one single Blake machine to sew on shoes, with channel soles.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not this is what style is about!!!
The quest for knowledge and gentlemen like DW who are willing to educate us!!
THANKS!!

Regards.

SHS

Reaction score
I am a bit confused about goyser, bentivegna and norwegian welted construction. Is it the same? Is it hand- or machine made? If machine made, does it use gemming?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am a bit confused about goyser, bentivegna and norwegian welted construction.

Confused.................you won't be (or even more) after ploughing your way through this threat:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/235443/...e-bentivegna-goyser-big-stitch-big-welts-only

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused about goyser, bentivegna and norwegian welted construction. Is it the same? Is it hand- or machine made? If machine made, does it use gemming?

Bentivegna is different than Norwegian/Norvegese in the sense that it uses a welt AFAIK. It's constructed exactly the same as Reverse Welted or Norwegian Welted. The difference between Reverse Welted and Norwegian Welted is the former uses gemming and the latter uses holdfast. Since they are exactly the same except for the gemming, it is very hard to say if Bentivegna actually uses gemming or not. The easiest tell-tale sign is look for a hand sewn stitching at the top row (bottom row is stitching from welt to outsole).

Bentivegna could also be done with front half folded out and starting at the waist, folded in.

Goyser looks the same as welted Norwegian/Reverse welted construction. Again, it could go both ways. Pretty sure Vass did it without gemming.

Gemming or not, they could all have a machine stitched outsole, which is far inferior to hand stitched/sewn outsole.

Norwegian constructions have midsole instead of a welt, and its a turn-out folded-out construction. It does need a holdfast. And due to the lack of welts, it has to be hand sewn. It could use gemming in place of holdfast but due to the hand sewn requirement, it makes most sense to just use a holdfast since using gemming won't save much time in manufacturing.

To summarize, it could go both ways, but welted construction is prime for gemming while hand sewn norwegian constructions have more rationale for holdfast/feather. And welted construction is sewn using welting machine.

Last edited:

SHS

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Bengal, I remember that thread for the great pictures, but I don't remember if there was much talk of the various constructions?

Chogall, is the "reverse welted" construction you talk about the same as "veldtschoen construction"? I hadn't even concidered that Vass could use gemming for their goyser welt. They probably don't, but I don't know. Also, are you saying that there is a difference between "norwegian welted construction" and "norwegian construction"? I am still a bit confused, although on a higher level now. :)

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look through the thread, we end up discussing construction in some detail. It gets somewhat resolved towards the end, but it can be pretty confusing.

Vass does not use gemming in any of their shoes.

There are what i'd call fake bentivegna and norwegian constructions in that the actual stitching is superfluous and not part of the integral structure of the shoe.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Bengal, I remember that thread for the great pictures, but I don't remember if there was much talk of the various constructions?

Chogall, is the "reverse welted" construction you talk about the same as "veldtschoen construction"? I hadn't even concidered that Vass could use gemming for their goyser welt. They probably don't, but I don't know. Also, are you saying that there is a difference between "norwegian welted construction" and "norwegian construction"? I am still a bit confused, althoug on a higher level now.
smile.gif

Here's a good old illustration from the previous incarnation of LAST magazine for your confusion. Veldtschoen construction is turn out and stitched down, without welt, according to the Japs. But most Veldtschoen shoes I've seen have welt. Remember the Japanese are much more industrial and scientific, with a passion to characterize everything.

SHS

Reaction score
Thanks Hendrix, I will read through the thread again. I'm glad you could reassure me that Vass doesn't use gemming, and I will try to stay far far away from purely decorative stitching.

Last edited:

SHS

Reaction score
Thanks Chogall, but I don't have the knowledge to draw any conclusions from those diagrams. My question arose because I have been looking at hiking boots, and saw some double stitched models claiming to be handcrafted here:

http://www.hanwag.de/schuh-kategorie.php?cat_id=8

The boots are relatively cheap compared to other handcrafted boots, e. g. Vass, so I'm not sure how good the construction is, and wondered if the stitching could be made by machine, and use gemming.

SHS

Reaction score

Confused.................you won't be (or even more) after ploughing your way through this threat:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/235443/...e-bentivegna-goyser-big-stitch-big-welts-only

Was that a threat Bengal? :lol:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads