1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

shoe construction...behind the veil

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DWFII, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

You say this and yet you are "web friends" with Florsheim? You illustrate your services, which, by the way, I have heard are excellent, with some fairly unattractive footwear.

Do you really not know anybody who would wear DW's shoes? I find that hard to believe. How about we take a look at all of the footwear you have personally worn in the past three days, so we can see what you think are wearable shoes?

If DW is completely honest, we can take his word that he delivers bespoke HW shoes for $1,800. If he is not completely honest, he could easily fake a contract showing any damn price he would like. A copy of a contract would prove nothing. We take him at his word, or we don't. We aren't sending a forensic accountant to audit his books.

DW is clearly not full of shit. Plenty of well-respected people have personally attested to the quality of the work of his own hands. Short of his finding somebody else to do the work for him on the sly, which would seem difficult at his prices, I don't see how he can fake his knowledge when the product of it is visible.

2. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. Nick V.

Are you ready for second grade?

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Is that it, you suppose? He thinks I would put a "standard" price on a contract? I can tell him, you, everyone that I do not. Those lines are left blank intentionally. If for no other reason than that I don't have to print up a new contract every time I change my prices. Which I haven't in over two(?) years.

But it's also just the way I operate...I don't quote price on my web page either. I make people call me so that they can talk to me and I can talk to them. If they won't do that...can't be bothered...I don't want their business.

Almost as galling as being called a liar every time Nick or chogall gets hoisted up by their own petard, is the petulance that compels him to call emptym a liar. MTM told him what my prices were. Yet he's still carping on it. FWIW, MTM signed that same contract (both times).

It's posturing, that's all.

I'm not posting my contract because 1) I don't do what he tells me to do even if he's lying on the floor kicking his heels and pulling his hair. If nothing else I enjoy his antics---it's the only time he's coherent and real.

And 2) it's nobody's business but my own. (who said that? here in this thread, I mean?)

I thank you for that but pay him no mind. He's wrong about that as well as all the other stuff--I'm real regular. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  5. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

Try to stay on topic...generic insults will only weaken any argument you're trying to make. You will note my posting was limited to talking about footwear and the photos of footwear people have chosen to share.

6. Nick V.

Try to stay on topic...generic insults will only weaken any argument you're trying to make.  You will note my posting was limited to talking about footwear and the photos of footwear people have chosen to share.
    [/quot

Agreed......
    A contract would prove everything.
    None the less? BS Time to move on.

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

His ability to make shoes has nothing to do with his personality.

8. Nick V.

DW totality lied about me. As he has in the past. To me that's a disgrace.
    A contract would prove everything. It' simple......

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

I am not calling M a liar. So don't put words in my mouth.

I am merely stating the fact that some of those upstart US 'bespoke' makers don't have the skill, training, or experiences compare to the EU/UK/JP or even Southeast Asia counterparts.

10. chogall

chogall Senior member

Fact is, you disrespect my personal experience because I am not a shoemaker. You disrespect NickV's professional experience because his not a shoemaker.

But now you are saying DWW knows something about shoemaking disregarding the fact that his not a shoemaker.

Your stance changed because of a PR blog post.

11. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

Although I understand the point you are making. I actually believe a man needs a certain kind of personality to reach the highest levels of his craft. If DW were the kind of man to cut corners, lie to others, and lie to himself, I just don't think he could make the footwear he makes. When I made things for a living, I was called pig-headed for spending too long on "quality," because there was more money to be made by settling for "good enough." If I were willing to play fast and loose with the facts, I just wouldn't have been the kind of guy to "waste" his time making things to the very best of my ability.

Is it possible that I'm totally wrong about DW? I guess so, but I feel I have a sense for these things. Now, he might write things out of anger here, on occasion, that don't do him as much credit as they could, but we all have our weaknesses.

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

1. Rough side out.
    2. Yes.
    3. My leather shoes never shrank length wise. But leather sole for outdoors is an extremely bad choice; it doesn't keep your shoes dry. Hand welted (or gyw) construction is really bad in keeping feet dry as well. But if you are silly enough to believe in them, beware of trench foot.

4. did you ask for half or full sole?

13. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

Certainly, material science has produced some incredible results. That said, it has, to date, not surpassed all natural materials. Otherwise, why do we see so much wood in the best furniture? Why do we see so much wool in the best suits? And, for those money-no-object bespoke footwear that comes out of Paris, London, or Tokyo for over $10,000 per pair, why are so many of them made out of leather?

1 person likes this.
  14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Nope. Being able to reach the pinnacle of any trade has nothing to do with personality.

You are born with it. 10000 hours rule or tons of practice and experience is only a prerequisite of being good in something. But they won't turn average joe Michael Jordan, Einstein, or Picasso.

15. Nick V.

I appreciate your thought's. Thank you.
    However.......A custom made bespoke HWed here in northern u.s.?
    I don't care how much you jump up and down.
    Won't happen......

16. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

Thank you for your answers! Very helpful.

May I ask why rough out? So pure cement/glue construction is best for keeping the water out? A lot of the rugged boots involve some type of stitched construction with plenty of cement, as far as I can tell. One example would be a boot with a leather midsole and a Vibram Christy sole cemented/glued to the bottom of that...

I simply asked for them to be "resoled," and assumed that would mean a full, new sole. Perhaps that was a bad assumption on my part.

17. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Nick,

I want to personally thank you for posting this message. While I was always a bit dubious about you, I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt. Thankfully, you have decided to show all of us what a terrible person you actually are and I can cross you and your company off my list permanently.

There is something to be said for being a decent person and showing respect to others even when you disagree with them.

18. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

I am no expert on any of this. The only solid quote, in the U.S. Northeast, that I have personally been given was $5,000.

I don't think anybody is denying that there are some relatively unskilled people in the US offering bespoke HW footwear for low prices. I don't think anybody is arguing that one should NOT be very cautious when working with somebody who quotes low prices, but isn't open about their experience level and willing to show examples of their finished work.

I think where some of the disconnect in this thread is that some first-rate bespoke cordwainers in the US may be charging such low amounts for their work that they make less per hour than they would as baristas at Starbucks, let alone not charging amounts that would support a retail operation in a major city, as opposed to a workshop in a rural area.

From a reasonable businessman's perspective, DW might be charging impossible prices, but that doesn't mean he isn't doing it.

edited for missing "NOT"

19. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

There were several linked to in posts above by myself and Testudo_Aubreii. (Whenever the text is blue, that means you can click the text and it will take you to a new website.)

Here they are again, with a few more as well, with locations from all over the US:

Craigcorvin.com

Romangoshoes.com

Donville.com

Sutorial.com (Here's a pic and here's a video of their handwelting. The "Custom" part of their website shows a very nice brogued oxford.) Made in Flint, Michigan.

Esquivelshoes.com

Exitshoes.com

Cordshoes.com (The website is RTW handwelted for $500, but this article mentions custom)

Craryshoes.com

Dan Freeman's Leatherworks

www.facebook.com/HerreraBootmaker/

Beneduci.com (Most of their shoes are a modified GY welt, iirc. They can do hand welted but starts at just over $1,800)

The following do bespoke shoes, and I've emailed to ask if handwelting is an option:

Dehner.com (They travel to Italy and the UK.)

Kroopboots.com

Vogelboots.com

There was a place in Elko, Nevada that made handwelted boots (cowboy and laceup ropers), but I can't find the website now.

As shoefan wrote above though, I also think DW is the only one with skills comparable to an English firm. And DW himself has said that his finishing isn't quite as good as others like Nicholas Templeman

1 person likes this.
  20. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

Even when we feel other people have crossed the line, I think we need to avoid ad hominem attacks, such as calling somebody a "terrible person." We need to keep returning to talking about footwear, however broadly one wishes to construe that topic. That's what I find interesting.

Can we try to debate as gentlemen (and gentlewomen if there are any participating in this thread)? A good debate can be very heated, but it leaves out insults.