• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe construction...behind the veil

Xenon

Reaction score

no Monty is just showing a similar CH label. This whole gemming thing has gotten so ridiculous.

Yes and no as it seems the point still isn't getting across.

1)If cements/adhesives are so good now why aren't the bespke models of these manufacturers gemmed. Nostalgia maybe?
2)If cements/adhesives are so good now why even bother with goodyear stitching and all, just cement the whole sole, less fuss, like the vast majority of shoes sold everywhere. In fact most cobblers now are far more adept with cements than stitching so resoling would be no different.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

1)If cements/adhesives are so good now why aren't the bespke models of these manufacturers gemmed. Nostalgia maybe?
2)If cements/adhesives are so good now why even bother with goodyear stitching and all, just cement the whole sole, less fuss, like the vast majority of shoes sold everywhere. In fact most cobblers now are far more adept with cements than stitching so resoling would be no different.

No, I think the point is that the point has gotten across (cement is inherently inferior to stitching) but the anti-gemming contigent feels a need to continue this battle, which no one else is fighting. Yes, Edward Green shoes have gemming. Yes, if they were hand welted they would not suffer a slipped gem. No this does not happen often and no, for the most part, no one (gemmed shoe wearers) cares.

SHS

Reaction score

I guess GY-welting shoes instead of cementing them makes it easier to put on a brand new sole when the time comes?

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, I think the point is that the point has gotten across (cement is inherently inferior to stitching) but the anti-gemming contigent feels a need to continue this battle, which no one else is fighting. Yes, Edward Green shoes have gemming. Yes, if they were hand welted they would not suffer a slipped gem. No this does not happen often and no, for the most part, no one (gemmed shoe wearers) cares.

The debate stems more from how sensitive some of the fanboys are.

For example, in the Meermin thread, someone said that Meermin LM are handwelted and therefore better constructed than Edward Green.
Immediately out come the sympathisers talking about "finishing" and "softer leather" etc.

What do you want us to say? Would they prefer that we pat them on the head and lie?
"There there, doesn't mean anything at all, in fact your shoes are better made than anything and their quality better than an Airbus?"

There is no debate. Properly handwelted shoes are better than gemmed.

There is no need to be a sympathiser.

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^^
Can't speak to EG fanboys as I am not one but I have no issues with GY welted shoes.
Don't know anything about Meermin but I thought they were GY welted? Aren't they like 350-400? Can't see how you can hand welt shoes at that price.

I don't have an issue with GY welted shoes either, but to deny that it's a pretty objective indicator of construction is, well, denial.

Yeah apparently the linea maestro is around that price and are hand welted. There is video evidence and a very clear description.

I don't have a pair myself (or a pair of EGs) but I get frustrated when people would prefer to be ignorant or just plain sensitive about their material possessions.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
Can't speak to EG fanboys as I am not one but I have no issues with GY welted shoes.
Don't know anything about Meermin but I thought they were GY welted? Aren't they like 350-400? Can't see how you can hand welt shoes at that price.

Meermin has two lines, Classic is GY welted, Linea Maestro is hand welted.

There are plenty of Chinese guys that can hand welt shoes under that price. And communication/shipping difficulties aside, Vass price in EUR is like what, EUR 400?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about Carmina? Are they hand welted?

Nope. Goodyear and gemmed.

FYI - ALL English RTW shoes which are goodyear welted are gemmed. Handwelted is strictly the domain of some MTO and bespoke amongst all of the English shoe makers.

The same is true for the Spanish, ie: Carmina and Meermin.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Meermin has two lines, Classic is GY welted, Linea Maestro is hand welted.

There are plenty of Chinese guys that can hand welt shoes under that price.  And communication/shipping difficulties aside, Vass price in EUR is like what, EUR 400?

Although I've not seen any examples which I would actually wear. As the only examples I've seen on the forums look remarkably unshapely and poorly detailed.

Vass does indeed offer an incredible value for a handwelted (and pegged) shoe. They are currently increasing production and opening a new retail store. I hope that the increased pressures of commercial success do not cause them to start taking shortcuts.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^never seen a pegged Vass.

Honestly it's not even an issue of price. Exchange rates and fucked up economies mean you're always going to be able to get something cheaper.
Put it this way; I am someone who will buy a fused jacket if it looks good and works with the design. i wear sneakers 2-3 days a week.
I'm not a snob. I don't care about Meermin or EG or any other shoe brand that i'm not going to buy from. I have gemmed shoes, I have handwelted. I'm not going to throw out my gemmed ones.

It's also not about saying "this shoe is better than that shoe". But if someone asks to compare the construction of two different shoe brands, do you want me to ignore the fact that one is gemmed? Would you expect that I just leave out this piece of information to appease the people that can't bear to think that there's anything inferior about the shoes they like/own?

This is a forum in which we have some very knowledgeable tailors who have gone to lengths to dissect suits and compare construction. Should we ignore what they say because someone likes their RLPL suit? Should the truth make that person suddenly not like their suit as much?

One method is better. No debate. Reality.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads