shoe construction...behind the veil

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DWFII, Jul 24, 2010.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

As I said, there may be no good answer...except not wearing your shoes. Put them on the mantle with a spotlight on them.

Because as long as a person is determined to bull ahead and actually wear his shoes, abrasion will happen. You can either obsess about it to the point that you change the whole nature..mechanical and visual...of what you spent your money on or you can accept the fact that shoes are your interface with the world and are gonna take a hit no matter what you do.

And be glad it's not your feet.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

2. DWFII

I might add that one of the easiest and best looking repairs...for people who wear their toes down...is simply a leather toe-tip replacement.

And if that don't answer...a splice of vibram dress soling in place of a metal toe tip will work nearly as well and be less noisy and less slippery....and is just as easy to do.

And...it will match the rubber heel plug.

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

Its a compromise between time, cost, and quality. want all leather soles/heel? Prepare to resole more frequently. Want to save on resole costs? Put on taps, nails, or rubber soles. Wanting both? Better be living next to b Nelson or know a shoemaker/cobbler.

Thus I am venturing to learn how to resole by hand.

4. chogall

chogall Senior member

Metal toe tips are not noisy.

Rubber toe taps secured by brass nails for new shoes seems like a good compromise.

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

The Florsheim v-cleats got the nickname "suicide heels" for this very reason IIRC.

6. DWFII

Get serious! What world are you living in?

If your metal toe taps are not noisy, you don't need them--simply because you're shuffling...you're not pushing off with your toe. It's impossible for metal to hit the floor/pavement at the end of a rocker motion (heel strike, rolling to lateral ball then across to medial ball then push off with toe), no matter how minimal. and not make a metallic noise.

7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Why don't they install a rubber toe area (like they do for the rubber corner that is in the heel)?

8. DWFII

It can be done...that's what I was saying in post #632, six posts above ^. Any competent shoe repairman could also simply replace just the worn toe tip of a leather outsole.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Sorry, skipped over the metal toe tip argument and missed that

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My flush metal tips don't make noise. I know people with non flush that are very noisy.

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

Flushed metal toe tips don't really make much noise; they ain't tap dancing tips.

Shoes without metal toe tips get the tips worn faster. Worn almost to the welt at the front, need a resole or leather tip patch.

Sometimes empirical evidence and experience trumps logic and theory.

13. DWFII

pB,

OK, I don't have any personal experience to doubt you although I have heard people wearing flush plates walk in malls and even into my shop. I have also seen posts on SF from people claiming that their flush plates make noise. Even people claiming that's one of the things they like about toe and heel plates. You've never seen or read post like that?

But I have to ask...are you seriously saying that your shoes with flush metal plates make no more noise that your shoes without? Not at all?

I've seen that. I've dealt with and repaired that. I just don't think metal is a good answer.

Much noise or no noise? Do your feet smell? Would you know if they did?

Sometimes...but if empirical evidence is limited to one or two or three, or even a hundred people and another hundred seem to have contradictory experiences, I'll go with logic every time...because I have this sneaking suspicion that that's what God gave us brains for. And because if there is just one person who sees and hears it differently, suddenly what is touted as "empirical" is, almost by definition, called into question. At least until the issue can be resolved by logic and objective analysis.

All that said, I readily admit that I have no direct experience simply because I've never wanted to mutilate my shoes enough to find out one way or the other. But I see and I hear and I notice things about shoes and people wearing shoes to a degree that many can't even imagine. I have experiences as well...from angles and perspectives that few here understand... experiences that bear directly on this issue.

And bottom line if noise were the only adverse effect/affect of metal toe plates, this would be a non-issue. We'll never be rid of those individuals in society who like to draw attention to themselves...I ken that fine and have long since come to terms with it.

edited for punctuation and clarity

14. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Heel plates, flush or otherwise, make hell of a noise. Did you check that those people you heard walking in malls wore toe plates and not heel plates?

The only time a toe plate makes a noise is when you walk down stairs (down only, not up) and you hit the floor at a landing. This is the only situation where you'll hit the floor with the toe first.

15. chogall

chogall Senior member

Don't really make much noise, as in they sometimes make noises. Specifically, when I land on my toes first in situations such as walking down stairs, stepping on driving pedals, etc.

My feet don't usually smell. I would know, or my better half would make sure I know.