• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe construction...behind the veil

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful boots!

I was wondering, is the stitching that is securing the uppers to the insole from the waist to the heel going all the way through to the interior of the boot?

If so, how was that done? Seems like the last would have to be taken out?

Also, what is the benefit of this type of stitch compared to simply stitching the upper directly to the holdfast all the way around?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Beautiful boots!

I was wondering, is the stitching that is securing the uppers to the insole from the waist to the heel going all the way through to the interior of the boot?

If so, how was that done? Seems like the last would have to be taken out?

Also, what is the benefit of this type of stitch compared to simply stitching the upper directly to the holdfast all the way around?

Thank you.

No, the backpart stitching is simply a whip stitch. The thread pierces the insole horizontally--it's a 'tunnel' stitch. I handle boots that way because that is what I was taught and because it makes 'braiding' the shank easier. (See fourth photo in previous post)

When I make shoes, esp. in these later years, I generally handle the heel seat like this:
20180511_082140 (1024 x 768) (2).jpg

However a modified whip stitch is possible:

heelseat-stitching.jpg

As you can see in the last photo of this post, I can secure the shank with any of the three methods but I've been doing boots like this for nigh onto 50 years...old habits die hard. (and it's what I teach, it being a little easier to master).

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

No, the backpart stitching is simply a whip stitch. The thread pierces the insole horizontally--it's a 'tunnel' stitch. I handle boots that way because that is what I was taught and because it makes 'braiding' the shank easier. (See fourth photo in previous post)

When I make shoes, esp. in these later years, I generally handle the heel seat like this:
View attachment 1083952

However a modified whip stitch is possible:

View attachment 1083958

As you can see in the last photo of this post, I can secure the shank with any of the three methods but I've been doing boots like this for nigh onto 50 years...old habits die hard. (and it's what I teach, it being a little easier to master).

Thanks for the details!

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welt stitching around the toe. Toe is half inch wider or a little bit less. This technique keeps the welt flat.

20181127_092904 (1024 x 768).jpg

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More to come in this series...

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1544130578011 (1024 x 768).jpg

1544130397749 (1024 x 768).jpg

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@DWFII ... I bet you made that tool by yourself!

:colgate:

Actually I didn't. It's a dedicated peg marker from the late 19th or early 20th century. It is one of my favourite tools, however. That and my boxwood and ivory size stick from the late 1800's.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:colgate:

Actually I didn't. It's a dedicated peg marker from the late 19th or early 20th century. It is one of my favourite tools, however. That and my boxwood and ivory size stick from the late 1800's.

How do you make the decision on whether to peg a waist? Do you do it only on request?

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my boxwood and ivory size stick from the late 1800's.

Could we get a picture please?
I think that the old times' tools had an elegance in themselves sadly missing at the present.
By refining even the more 'technical' tool, the artisans were showing the respect and dedication for their trade.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How do you make the decision on whether to peg a waist? Do you do it only on request?

'Western' (cowboy) boots are Traditionally pegged in the waist. During the early 1800's and right up through the Am. Civil War...well, really as far back as Roman times...pegs were used for the entire outsole as well as stacking the heel. When the 'Full Wellington'...worn by cavalry officers on both sides...came west with soldiers after the war, many were full pegged military surplus. Civilian makers copied this style and the first 'cowboy' boots varied little from the military standard. Eventually, however, variations crept in and ornamentation and the higher heel and so forth. And so began the evolution toward what we today know as the western boot.

That said, it was recognized that, esp, in dry climates, neither pegs nor 'screws' (nails aka rivets) would hold up. Stitching the forepart became the norm. Pegging the waist survived because of the gear and the way in which the cowboy worked/rode--the pegged, fiddleback waist was particularly suited to riding deep in an 'oxbow' stirrup.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could we get a picture please?
I think that the old times' tools had an elegance in themselves sadly missing at the present.
By refining even the more 'technical' tool, the artisans were showing the respect and dedication for their trade.

The top stick is the ivory and boxwood. The second one is a folding stick made of boxwood, as well--folds to about 9" opens to 14".

20181207_083456 (1)_(1024_x_768).jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads