• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe conditioner

phenom01

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used vaseline as a shoe conditioner?

Gerry

Reaction score
I did read that some ppl use it on patent leather shoes but cannot attest to it's benefits or otherwise as I have never used it.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There must be a better way to oil your shoes . . .

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As patent leather is completely sealed on the finish side the application of conditioners do little more than assist in cleaning the surface. Vaseline (petroleum jelly) with a rag, can be used to buff out minor scuffs. Afterwards it must be rubbed off or it can chemically react with the finish.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't use Vaseline on leather. It will darken it and attract dust.
There are patent cleaners that are very effective on patents. But, my favorite process for patent cleaning and care is this:
Insert shoe trees.
Apply a lite mist of Windex and let set for 15 minutes.
Using a white rag, buff the Windex completely out. At that point you may think you achieved a good gloss. You're not done yet.
Apply a very lite coat of Vaseline. Work it in well.
With a white rag rub out all of the Vaseline vigorously.
They'll come out looking like mirrors.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Vaseline is petro grease. It is not a product for conditioning leather. There are many leather conditioners out there that are optimized for this application. Most of the guys here like Sapphir Renovateur quite a lot, haven't tried it. I love Montana Pitch Blend, which is actually a hunting boot dressing. It's made of beeswax, pine pitch, and mink oil. Works like crazy, smells real yummy. Doubtless no better than the Sapphir.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did ....when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I think it did cover the scuff marks but darkened the leather.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There are patent cleaners that are very effective on patents. But, my favorite process for patent cleaning and care is this:
Insert shoe trees.
Using a white rag, buff the Windex completely out. At that point you may think you achieved a good gloss. You're not done yet.

Thanks for this. Does anyone know if this method would harm the leather on mixed fabric shoes, if the Windex misted over?

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

phenom01

Reaction score
i need to hydrate my shoes so that they dont crack.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Insert shoe trees.

Nick, I used to wear patent leather at a previous job (many years ago). The shoe manufacturer (I can't remember who) recommended Pledge and specifically told me not to use Windex. Any thoughts on this? MOL?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If used correctly, same results. Pledge has more oil in it. It's a one step but more work. Also better chance of collecting grim on patent..

well-kept

Reaction score
Pecard's, which many people favor for boots and heavy leather shoes, seems very similar to Vaseline, in look, feel and smell. I tried Pecard's a couple of times but then stopped using it because it seemed to sit on the surface forever, never absorb, and prevent further shine. Anyone know whether it is in fact petroleum based?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of pledge on shoes - i recently polished up some thuya wood boxes with Renovateur - they look great!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads