• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Comparison (and is AE really worth it?)

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
hey thanks riveroaks!

cmon drizzt, give me some love
confused.gif

sosoma

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post--I ended up purchasing a pair of Park Avenue's at the AE store in DC--which was having a 10% off sale too!

I normally wear regular width shoes, but the guy working there got me into a 11B, and said they needed to be a tad snug so my feet didn't roll around. I'm wearing them today for the first time, and should have a pretty good feel for how they fit by the end of the day.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sosoma
Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post--I ended up purchasing a pair of Park Avenue's at the AE store in DC--which was having a 10% off sale too!

I normally wear regular width shoes, but the guy working there got me into a 11B, and said they needed to be a tad snug so my feet didn't roll around. I'm wearing them today for the first time, and should have a pretty good feel for how they fit by the end of the day.

Out of curiousity, did he have an 11C and an 11D for you to try on?

wgiceman

Reaction score
I would think that going from an 11D to an 11B would result in a really tight fit. I cannot imagine the 11B's stretching enough to be comfortable if you are normally wearing a correct fitting 11D.

Do let us know how you like the 11B's by the end of the day. If it is a bad fit, you will know long before the end of the day.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine going down two widths, esp. in a last known for being long and skinny. Let us know how they fit. I hope it isn't a case of the guy selling you what he had, as opposed to what you really needed.

sosoma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
Out of curiousity, did he have an 11C and an 11D for you to try on?

The salesman did have those sizes, but I think it was my initial impression of my shoe size that was erroneous. I can't remember the last time I actually my feet sized by a professional. Right off the bat he measured my feet and said a D was too wide. I tried on a C and a B and the C felt a little less snug and I was concerned that as my foot "settled" into the insole it would be too loose.

So far they feel pretty good, aside from a little rub on the right foot. But his assessment that the shoe should fit snug, at least initially, is correct, right?

sosoma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
It's hard to imagine going down two widths, esp. in a last known for being long and skinny. Let us know how they fit. I hope it isn't a case of the guy selling you what he had, as opposed to what you really needed.

Sorry I should have multi-quoted, but I think it was really a case between the C and the B; D wasn't really in the running. But the salesman was a very nice guy, and I don't think it would be an issue if I needed to exchange them for the C width.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I should have multi-quoted, but I think it was really a case between the C and the B; D wasn't really in the running. But the salesman was a very nice guy, and I don't think it would be an issue if I needed to exchange them for the C width.

If he had all three thats a good sign. I've had nice-guy AE salesmen try to unload blatantly wrong sized shoeso n me before though. A little snug is no biggie. Even if a C would have been better in the long run, you could have a B stretched.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So far they feel pretty good, aside from a little rub on the right foot. But his assessment that the shoe should fit snug, at least initially, is correct, right?

It depends _where_ they're snug. I have half a closet full of shoes that salesmen swore would feel great once I "broke them in." The AEs I've got all felt great out of the box. I may wear them all a little looser than is normal around here, however.

If your toes have enough room, you'll probably be OK. If not, then...

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah this is the key. The rest of your foot gets wider and narrower all day long, basically "flexing" as you walk, but your toes dont really extert a lot of outward pressure, so if theya re pinched, they'll stay pinched.

sosoma

Reaction score
It depends _where_ they're snug. I have half a closet full of shoes that salesmen swore would feel great once I "broke them in." The AEs I've got all felt great out of the box. I may wear them all a little looser than is normal around here, however.

I would say just overall a much closer fit than what I had been wearing--square toed dress shoes that were probably not sized properly. They really do feel good though, and I've got plenty of wiggle room for my toes. The snugness is mostly on the sides. I think I've noticed them fitting a bit tighter up through the laces as the day progresses and my feet swell, but nothing uncomfortable. My lower back definitely feels much better, which is nice, and my heels don't hurt anymore.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear the regular orthaheel or the slim fit one? And do you just place it on top of the AE insole?

Sorry, missed your query the first time around.

I wear the regular Orthaheels and slip 'em in on top of the existing leather lining. Easy. It reduces foot fatigue markedly.

On really snug fitting shoes sometimes I need the slim fit ones, especially when the shoes are new. Sometimes, as the shoe gets brocken in it will start to acccomodate the regular sized ones.

sosoma

Reaction score
Just wanted to share an update--thanks for all your feedback/responses. After 3 wears I took the shoes back to AE and the salesman was nice enough to swap them for an 11C. They didn't have any in stock, so he had to order them from the factory/warehouse (not sure where). They just came in today, and feel much more comfortable. The insole was too narrow on the 11B and it was pinching my little toe from underneath, if that makes sense.

A little disappointed though that it appears my replacements aren't brand new, but likely returned shoes themselves. The sole looks brand new, but there are some minor wrinkles between the cap toe and upper from where the shoe flexes. I guess on the bright side I don't have to suffer through the stiff leather break in phase. Plus I have shoes that fit better.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A little disappointed though that it appears my replacements aren't brand new, but likely returned shoes themselves. The sole looks brand new, but there are some minor wrinkles between the cap toe and upper from where the shoe flexes. I guess on the bright side I don't have to suffer through the stiff leather break in phase. Plus I have shoes that fit better.

Sounds like they're no more worn than a new pair that had been tried on at the store. If there's no wear on the soles, I consider them "brand new." Hope you enjoy them.

tbabes

Reaction score

If the soles are mint, then I wouldn't worry about it -- probably just tried on in the store, with a few walks about the carpet. Enjoy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads