• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe colors for navy or brown suit?

DeaconBoogie

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions...

I know that burgundy is typically the color for navy/blue suits. What other colors are successful with this color of suit?

Additionally, what about brown? I've never owned a brown suit so I am pretty clueless.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mostly wear black oxfords with a navy suit. At the best stores, I've seen well-dressed sales guys with every shade of brown oxford, lace up and monk imaginable. Many look anywhere from good to ultra cool.

While I may push for burgundy monks or oxfords, I still like a really classy black cap toe with my navy suits.

kcc

Reaction score
Briefly, regarding garments a commonly agreed standard is "no brown in town;" blk. shoes with navy suits specifically when in the city of London, generally, when interviewing in the US

Disclaimer: I'm learning also ...
blush.gif

navysuede

Reaction score
Navy,Grey and just about everything a Brown pair of shoes would go with..

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a sienna brown suit with a rust window pane pattern, and I wear shoes colored chili, British tan and medium brown. All go well.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to my next interview with a sportcoat, slacks, and brown shoes.

Just to see what happens.

Oh french cuffs too
tounge.gif

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
My oversized navy pintripe suit with brown shoes and striped tie got me my first internship at a financial services company then. Go figure.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc
Briefly, regarding garments a commonly agreed standard is "no brown in town;" blk. shoes with navy suits specifically when in the city of London, generally, when interviewing in the US

Disclaimer: I'm learning also ...
blush.gif

No brown in town is probably very anglo-saxon. Correct me if I am wrong but my experience tells me more brown in EU town than black.

Originally Posted by babygreenspots
What do you guys think about tan with navy? Too much contrast?

Tan with navy looks very nice IMO.

achillesg

Reaction score
With regard to the navy suit only, I think black looks nicer and certainly blends in better. If you're trying to blend in in most office settings, I'd go with black.

A lot of people don't want to blend in. Normally, I do. Normally I want to blend in and dress well enough to give my clients confidence and to show respect for my peers.

One thing about brown shoes is that due to the transparency of the color, you can really see the quality of the leather, so if I had a pair of very expensive ($1000+) handmade shoes, I'd want to get them in brown or chestnut to show off the leather, but I don't have a pair of those and would never be able to wear them in a business setting anyway without being too showy.

If you stick with black shoes with your navy suit, you'll not spend any time second guessing your color choice.

I don't have any brown suits, so I'm not going to opine on that part of your question.

borntoolate

Reaction score
black with a navy suit is a classic combination - however personally i dig brown shoes with navy (and brown for that matter), although given that you're asking the question you may want to shy away from this direction... at least until you have more of an inner fashion compass.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i would wear brown or tan with brown, and i would cordovan or brown with a navy suit.

Black....boring.

I have very nice black shoes, but they're reserved for events like interviews or formal events

On a daily basis i much rather show my character, at least slightly.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
What do you guys think about tan with navy? Too much contrast?

It looks pretty bad imho. I sometimes see sales guys wearing this combo, usually the same ones who have db suits with no cuffs on the pants. If you want caramel lollipops at the end of your legs ok, otherwise go for black(first choice) very dark brown with a nice patina or one of the burgundies such as cordovan. Black is by far the best although I know other colors are popular in US but not the UK where the idea of wearing Brrraarn boots with a blue suit would cause consternation. There's even a comic song on the subject.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tan with navy can look great in the summer.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
It looks pretty bad imho. I sometimes see sales guys wearing this combo, usually the same ones who have db suits with no cuffs on the pants.

Originally Posted by iammatt
Tan with navy can look great in the summer.

peepwall[1].gif

286483882_rhYjM-XXL.jpg

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics