• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe color w/ navy suits

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color shoe do you prefer with a navy colored suit?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I selected darker brown as the go-to choice, but in summer months I'll vary that with antique tan, and in cooler weather I'll break out the cordovan for a change of pace.

Only rarely will I break out the black. Typically for evening events.

Classic

Reaction score
It is just my opinion, but I think the reason most men wear black dress shoes, even with blue suits is that they do not have to think about color cordination.

Classic

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
IMO completely depends on the function/purpose, and the rest of the outfit. All choices are correct and stylish given certain circumstances...

rayk

Reaction score
I agree with Steve.  Generally, for day-wear or more relaxed after-six-affairs, I tend to prefer dark brown shoes.  For more "formal" events, I stick to black shoes.  However, well made, exquisitly polished shoes of either brown or black of appropriate style will pretty much always be fine.

rayk

Reaction score
Stylestudent:  That is very interesting.  With every household inundated with all sorts of visual media, I would have assumed that regional perceptions of sartorial propriety would have begun by now to recede.  Some ideas are tenacious, I guess.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black for city

Brown if I go to country

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO completely depends on the function/purpose, and the rest of the outfit. All choices are correct and stylish given certain circumstances...
Yea, that is why this is such a great question (to toot my own horn). I know that people feel strongly about which color shoe to wear with a navy suit. Some are adament against wearing black shoes with navy, while some think that corodovan is only apporpriate, and that brown is too casual.

I feel that cordovan looks the most stylish, while darker brown is the norm.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the poll choices should have included "all of the above".

acole

Reaction score
Do any of you make distinctions among the various shades of navy? Â For example, I have both a midnight navy HF Boardroom suit and a much warmer, brighter navy HSM 'Gold Trumpeter' suit. Â The darker one is close enough to black that wearing black shoes with it gives the same clash you always get when mixing 2 slightly different shades of any color. Â I'll usually wear cordovan shoes with it, but would consider brown in relaxed situations where I'm not worried about offending anyone. Â The lighter navy suit, on the other hand, goes just fine with black shoes. In fact, its fabric is actually composed of tiny alternating pinstripes of black and medium blue, but it appears solid to all but the closest of inspections. Now, tan with navy suits is a bit much for me personally; I'm a 48L with a 13 foot, and I think I might as well wrap my feet in neon tubing as wear big, bright clodhoppers like that.
sadlike.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I only wear the bright navy suits, so I've never thought of that. As for the tan shoes - that's primarily what I wear with navy suits, though I prefer dark brown and I've got those sz 13 clodhoppers you're talking about. I've got so many pairs of tan shoes I've got to wear them with something.

aybojs

Reaction score
(matadorpoeta @ 10 June 2004, 12:16) the poll choices should have included "all of the above".
as well as 'lime green'.
Heh, I have a pair of lime green Ludwig Reiter trainers I have yet to wear; I may have to wear them with one of my navy suits one day just for the hell of it. I don't have any huge preferences myself, though I personally like light brown/tan the most, but all colors seem fine.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 I'll usually wear cordovan shoes with it, but would consider brown in relaxed situations where I'm not worried about offending anyone.  
How can brown shoes be considered offensive? I don't get it. Too casual?

acole

Reaction score
Probably. I don't consider brown shoes offensive; I just know that brown+navy strikes some people as improper.  Where I grew up (one of the aforementioned small towns in the Midwest), it was frowned upon. So I wouldn't wear brown shoes and a navy suit to (say) a job interview, but I'd happily wear that combo most other places.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads