1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe color w/ navy suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mike C., Jun 9, 2004.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I guess I think there is a fine line between dressing well in a classic manner and dressing in an anachronistic manner. Personally I have many classic elements to my manner of dress (choice of suitings, shoes), but also incorporate quite a few modern ones (shirt/tie color) and some stylistic elements that may have been considered iconoclastic some time ago (loafers with a suit) may be considered at least appropriate and perhaps mainstream.

Obviously some rules should be obeyed, but how does one decide which ones? In my opinion, the rules change along with the times, at least to some degree. While there are some stylistic elements that may always be considered "classic" there are some that may go the way of the buggy whip and horse and carriage.

2. prinseugen

prinseugen Well-Known Member

You make valid points (that last buggy whip maker must have turned out one hell of a product). In the meantime, I consider that a simple rule like no loafers with a suit, and I will make that a rather dark, formal suit, out of respect for your well-considered comments, is not in my view anachronistic, it is merely proper, and appropriate, particularly if the fellow doing the wearing is an old guard traditionalist, who deals with others unamused by "fashion" or trends.

Regards,

Jack

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I certainly have no problem with someone choosing to dress in that manner, as I do so myself. I simply wouldn't hold it against someone who chose to dress otherwise, as long as it was tasteful and looked good.

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

(Thracozaag @ 11 Oct. 2004, 7:06) I can honestly thank the stars that I'm in a field where I don't have to worry about these ridiculous restrictions regarding loafers with suits. Â My one pair of Lobb shoes is a loafer. koji
    Ridiculous restrictions? There is nothing ridiculous about propriety. And you are fortunate indeed to work in a field that allows you to freely express your preferences. Jack
    Any line of work which frowns upon a gorgeous pair of loafers paired with a suit, I do find ridiculous, imo. koji

5. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

I love this forum. Where else could a pair of tassel loafers lead to eulogy, threnody, vituperation, and back again? Tell me. Where?

6. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Well, if Bruce Boyer says it's okay then it's okay with me. [​IMG]

7. Horace

Horace Senior member

My argument all along has been, if not out-right stated, than implicitly that: the old guard does wear the Brooks Alden loafer with suit.

And to prove it, I am going to start doing so tomorrow. So there.

8. Horace

Horace Senior member

(prinseugen @ 12 Oct. 2004, 6:00) I consider that a simple rule like no loafers with a suit, and I will make that a rather dark, formal suit, out of respect for your well-considered comments, is not in my view anachronistic, it is merely proper, and appropriate, particularly if the fellow doing the wearing is an old guard traditionalist, who deals with others unamused by "fashion" or trends.
    Also: allow me to add an excerpt from the article that StyleStudent pointed to (and see his other comments on the tassled loafer, contra yours). Of course, there are many ways to "read" this excerpt, and attaching the loafer to Bill Clinton may not be the most sartorially convincing thing to do: cited text: Today, Alden makes the legendary tassel loafer in oxblood, black, mahogany brown, whiskey (light) tan and ravello (dark) tan Cordovan (priced at around $375); and in burgundy, black, walnut brown, tan calf and brown suede (at around $245). The black calf version has been Alden's best-selling shoe for the past 40 years. It has become known as the lawyer's shoe, as when George Bush during his presidential campaign with Bill Clinton complained that Clinton was supported by "every lawyer that ever wore a tasseled loafer." And Bush, an Eastern Establishment guy if ever there was one, should know. End cited text:

9. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Just to clarify, I personally don't wear tassel or other loafers when I wear a dark suit to a meeting or hearing but use my captoe oxfords instead. Mostly I wear sportcoats or blazers to the office with the tassel shoes. On some occasions, I'll wear a more casual suit (e.g. a lighter colored gray flannel) with a buttondown shirt and loafers. That's because I don't consider this combination much more formal than a sport jacket. It all depends on where you have to go during the workday.

10. prinseugen

(prinseugen @ 12 Oct. 2004, 6:00) I consider that a simple rule like no loafers with a suit, and I will make that a rather dark, formal suit, out of respect for your well-considered comments, is not in my view anachronistic, it is merely proper, and appropriate, particularly if the fellow doing the wearing is an old guard traditionalist, who deals with others unamused by "fashion" or trends.
    My argument all along has been, if not out-right stated, than implicitly that: the old guard does wear the Brooks Alden loafer with suit. And to prove it, I am going to start doing so tomorrow. So there.
    Knock yourself out, pal.

11. prinseugen

(prinseugen @ 12 Oct. 2004, 09:38)
    I can honestly thank the stars that I'm in a field where I don't have to worry about these ridiculous restrictions regarding loafers with suits. My one pair of Lobb shoes is a loafer. koji
    Ridiculous restrictions? There is nothing ridiculous about propriety. And you are fortunate indeed to work in a field that allows you to freely express your preferences. Jack
    Any line of work which frowns upon a gorgeous pair of loafers paired with a suit, I do find ridiculous, imo. koji
    And I find your consistently disagreeable remarks ridiculous...at which point does a shining example of transcontinental success like you begin to communicate respectfully? I don't know what you do for a living, koji, but I have certainly done my level best to treat your point of view with respect. That's over. You are a rude and pretentious little man. May you wear your loafers to distraction.

12. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Koji is a very talented pianist. Koji, are you still playing for Mikhail Baryshnikov?

13. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Yes; strangely, he still deems it worthy enough to still work with me despite my loafer fetish, go figure.
    On a side note, I was stuck in the Trenton train station (an exceedingly depressing place, especially at midnight on a sat. night) during the business rush hour and saw five gentlemen lined up like ducks in a row. All five were wearing either suits or a sportscoat/slacks combo, and yes, ALL FIVE were wearing tassled loafers. For the record, I object to the wearing of tasseled loafers with suits on aesthetic (one pair looked almost like a footjoy product one would don for a round of 18 holes) rather than proprietary grounds.
    Prince, my friend, I've met some gigantic egos in my day in the music field but none take themselves quite as seriously as you do. Bravo.

koji

14. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Oh, Manton, where do you get those cockamamie theories of yours?
    Who is this "Raphael" of whom you speak? Is he some kind of fashion designer? To stay on topic: Me likey the dark brown shoes with navy, unless it's a light navy, in which case black can work out very nicely. I don't really care for tan shoes with navy, but in my heart of hearts, I can forgive those who do.

16. Manton

17. offshore observer

offshore observer Active Member

No.

No.  No one's life is that empty.

18. Manton

19. prinseugen

(A Harris @ 17 Oct. 2004, 01:26) Koji is a very talented pianist. Koji, are you still playing for Mikhail Baryshnikov?
    Yes; strangely, he still deems it worthy enough to still work with me despite my loafer fetish, go figure. On a side note, I was stuck in the Trenton train station (an exceedingly depressing place, especially at midnight on a sat. night) during the business rush hour and saw five gentlemen lined up like ducks in a row. All five were wearing either suits or a sportscoat/slacks combo, and yes, ALL FIVE were wearing tassled loafers. For the record, I object to the wearing of tasseled loafers with suits on aesthetic (one pair looked almost like a footjoy product one would don for a round of 18 holes) rather than proprietary grounds. Prince, my friend, I've met some gigantic egos in my day in the music field but none take themselves quite as seriously as you do. Bravo. koji
    You are a pretentious bore, koji, and to think that so many tiresome sycophants feel the need to overlook your insulting rubbish, while focusing on my logical resistance to it is truly mindboggling. A place where truculent twits like you are prized in this fashion is of no interest to me. As to manton's Grayson remark: I was unimpressed with the fellow's unrelenting negativity, but you are another of these sanctimonious malcontents; I have no connection to the guy, but in spirit, we are not so far apart, since Grayson was at least honest in his judgments. And I have never until this very post insulted a bloody soul, but koji is a risible little wretch. And to all of you who rushed to defend the indefensible: congratulations on your weak, politically correct herd mentality. Miserable peasants. J: you may block me from posting on the site, but it would be wasted effort, since I will now depart of my own volition. And congratulations again for providing a forum that gave me great pleasure for a short period, and where many persons benefit from sterling advice.

20. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

Eugen:
    Banzai.
    Good riddance.