Shoe color w/ navy suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mike C., Jun 9, 2004.

1. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

(Thracozaag @ 03 Oct. 2004, 07:12) Well, he basically put down the entire country of Italy; Phil's sarcastic (and right on the button) refutation took the words out of my mouth, hence the 'touche' (and the ensuing puerile, somewhat pietistic response). koji
    Do try to locate collars that actually fit, little man.... Koji, there is something very wrong with what passes for reasoning in your world. Note that I never put down the entire nation of Italy, but rather the silly shoe color choices made by some Italian men. And considering that Americans in general cannot hold a candle to the Italians when it comes to personal style on a grand scale, I certainly would never criticize the "entire country of Italy," as you falsely put it. Time to run for office, where idiotic claims are the norm. Jack
    You've crossed from amusing to irritating. My heartiest congratulations to you, sir. koji

2. AJL

AJL Senior member

Correct me if I am mistaken, but after backtracking quite a ways through this thread it seems the heated and now quite personal exchange originated from these two contributions:

Jack-

Your head must be ready to explode when you visit Italy, with all of us wearing our tan shoes with just about everything, including black.  Its sad to think 30 million of us look so imbecilic in our tan shoes and charcoal suits.

Touche.

koji

I see nothing worthy of personal attack based on either remark; certainly a lively opinionated exchange should be just that, as this one was until it deteriorated to base name calling.

Are we not all entitled to our opinions here (can we not merely agree to disagree)?

Respectfully,
    AJL

Edit: Perhaps this is the straw that broke the camel's back:

That's for the edification....  

koji
    Still, I don't see it, but no doubt the inability to inflect in a format of this nature (wherein "smilies" stand in for tone) can lead to some heated exchanges which might otherwise remain civil if conducted in person, or by voice.

3. offshore observer

offshore observer Active Member

4. prinseugen

prinseugen Well-Known Member

(prinseugen @ 03 Oct. 2004, 07:52)
    Well, he basically put down the entire country of Italy; Phil's sarcastic (and right on the button) refutation took the words out of my mouth, hence the 'touche' (and the ensuing puerile, somewhat pietistic response). koji
    Do try to locate collars that actually fit, little man.... Koji, there is something very wrong with what passes for reasoning in your world. Note that I never put down the entire nation of Italy, but rather the silly shoe color choices made by some Italian men. And considering that Americans in general cannot hold a candle to the Italians when it comes to personal style on a grand scale, I certainly would never criticize the "entire country of Italy," as you falsely put it. Time to run for office, where idiotic claims are the norm. Jack
    You've crossed from amusing to irritating. My heartiest congratulations to you, sir. koji
    You have been been irritating from the beginning, koji: please accept my heartiest congratulations. Jack

5. prinseugen

6. prinseugen

AJL, I suggested that Phil and I agree to disagree, and he tastefully accepted the arrangement. Koji and T4 ramped up a simple discussion of choices to include nasty, inappropriate, and completely unnecessary comments. I welcome your suggestion: it is both stupid and wasteful to spend time on rubbish of this kind, particularly since we all have ideas in common. The persons who contribute here love good clothes--that is enough for me. I was attacked for no reason. I expressed strong opinions in which I believe unreservedly. There was no call for nastiness on the part of these two geniuses--damnit, if we can't definitely write what we believe, regardless of PC silliness, we really haven't a forum worth knowing. I was appalled at the antics surrounding Marc Grayson's relentlessly negative posts, but the guy was pilloried from all sides. Now, it's obvious you cannot allow degenerative flame wars to occupy a forum, but a fellow has every right to nail what he considers non-standard, with the full acceptance that others might feel differently. Phil and I had a respectful disagreement. He will go on doing exactly as he pleases; and so will I.

Regards,

Jack

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I'm done with this thread; make of that what you will. Good-day.

koji

8. prinseugen

Bon voyage, Koji. And I must say that your Beethoven quote is profound. Make of that what you will....

Jack

9. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your behavior has been neither civil nor civilized. The is a public forum, and if you choose to spout invective on it, it is the business of everyone who posts. And as to your assertions about Koji's bad manners, physician, heal thyself.

10. prinseugen

(prinseugen @ 03 Oct. 2004, 10:50) I am not civil, merely civilized. It is most unpleasant of you to meddle where you do not belong. I did not start this idiotic argument. Koji's bad manners exacerbated a completely manageable exchange between Phil and I...one that was soon resolved to our mutual satisfaction.
    Your behavior has been neither civil nor civilized. The is a public forum, and if you choose to spout invective on it, it is the business of everyone who posts. And as to your assertions about Koji's bad manners, physician, heal thyself.
    My behavior has been utterly civilized. I merely defended myself from the invective to which you refer. And it is surely none of your business--except I trust as a disagreeable bystander. You are among a particular breed of vicious bully: the anonymous viper. I have explained myself thoroughly here, and I have done so in a language you do not synthesize. How dare you attack me for no reason whatsoever? Examine your own behavior in this instance...your lot is disgraceful. Jack

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

What the hell have we here? Between the archaic phrasings and the turn of the century style barbs, I think that we might have ourselves a real live duel. Someone please stand down. prinseugen, as a relative newcomer, I suggest that you do so first as a gesture of goodwill. T4phage, Thracozaag, jcusey, and others, you all know by now that these threads just escalate to no good end.

Let's end the discussion here, gentlemen.

12. prinseugen

I have fought injustice all my life: the odds are strongly in my favor. LA Guy, I appreciate your intervention, sir. I will stand down, as you ask. But only if I am left alone from this moment forward...I did not deserve to be attacked by this crew of harpies to begin with. DAMNIT.

Jack

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

(LA Guy @ 03 Oct. 2004, 5:00) What the hell have we here? Â Between the archaic phrasings and the turn of the century style barbs, I think that we might have ourselves a real live duel. Â Someone please stand down. Â prinseugen, as a relative newcomer, I suggest that you do so first as a gesture of goodwill. Â T4phage, Thracozaag, jcusey, and others, you all know by now that these threads just escalate to no good end. Let's end the discussion here, gentlemen.
    I have fought injustice all my life: the odds are strongly in my favor. LA Guy, I appreciate your intervention, sir. I will stand down, as you ask. But only if I am left alone from this moment forward...I did not deserve to be attacked by this crew of harpies to begin with. DAMNIT. Jack
    Good call. It's amazing how things can get so out-of-hand on a gentlemen's clothing forum sometimes. Come on guys, it's just shoes. Wear what you like. Lets get back to talking about what we do best.

14. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I second that LAGuy. This is ridiculous; it is the most polite flame-war I've even seen. Drop thy olde english phrasings gentlemen. Sounds like someone is about to get slapped across the face with a leather glove.

15. Tom

Tom Senior member

Methinks that Kalra has returned under the guise of "prinseugen". [​IMG]