• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe care

matsuya

Reaction score
I went to a cobbler today to buy some Meltonian products. He recommended that I only use the cream, which cleans, polishes, and protects. Is that all I really need to use?

Also is it better getting the different shades of brown or using the neutral cream?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I use Meltonian cream on my shoes but after applying them I put a little shoe polish of the same color for the extra shine. After brushing I also buff the shoes with those microcloth used on cars for an even more deeper shine.

And neutral cream might darken your shoe in the long run. In any case it is better to get the exact or closest color cream for your shoes.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't want a mirror shine, shoe cream is ok.

habitue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matsuya
I went to a cobbler today to buy some Meltonian products. He recommended that I only use the cream, which cleans, polishes, and protects.

"Cream" can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Fishball for example was refering to wax while I assume by cream you mean a wax cream in a tin, right? Please be more specific.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By "cream" , I mean shoe cream normally packed in glass.
By "wax" , I mean shoe polish normally packed in tin/can.

Cream won't got you mirror shine no matter how hard you brush.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
By "cream" , I mean shoe cream normally packed in glass.
By "wax" , I mean shoe polish normally packed in tin/can.

Cream won't got you mirror shine no matter how hard you brush.

Depends on the cream......finishing some shoes in the shop now - these didn't see any wax, only Saphir creams and Renoverteur and Crema Nubiana:

2yv4b4p.jpg
[/IMG]

2upcww8.jpg
[/IMG]

habitue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
Depends on the cream......finishing some shoes in the shop now - these didn't see any wax, only Saphir creams and Renoverteur and Crema Nubiana:

The Saphir cream contains wax. At least mine does. Look at the glass.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by habituÃ
00a9.png

Thank you, I'll go do that now.

ps - all creams are a base of wax, it's a matter of which type of wax and which type of liquid modifier (turpentine, stoddard solvent, water, etc.), and to which %, that will determine the quality, and effect the final result of it's use.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have no idea who you're talking to do ya?
smile.gif
Originally Posted by habituÃ
00a9.png

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rider.

You pics did show shine, but not "mirror shine", IMHO. By mirror shine, I really can see my face on the shoe, so to speak. I used both Saphir cream, Renoverteur and polish, I do noticed they give you difference shine.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER

2yv4b4p.jpg
[/IMG]

2upcww8.jpg
[/IMG]

Rider,

That is what I mean a real mirror shine:

hig2.jpg

chocoball

Reaction score
fishball, how did you get your shoes to shine like that? please tell the process.
smile.gif

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not done by me.
It's a service of a Japanese company, I just borrow the pic.
But the process is not diffcult, you can watch the video on JM Weston Website.
Partice few times, then you will know how to do it.
You can do it with any shoe polish wax, but i found out that the saphir is the easiest one to get the mirror shine.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
Rider,

That is what I mean a real mirror shine:

hig2.jpg

That's beautiful. Are those your shoes? Can I ask your shoe shining regimen? I searched some of your older posts but could not find anything..

Sorry, I was so intrigued by the picture of the shine I didn't read your follow up posts.. I will take a look at the Weston website..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads