1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Care

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by craig, Nov 5, 2004.

1. craig

craig Active Member

I ran a search, and didn't turn up much on this site. Can Anyone direct me to a website that describes the proper way to clean and polish dress shoes. Thanks...

2. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

3. ct2272

ct2272 Well-Known Member

I currently own 2 pairs on Johnston and Murphy shoes and have been using the Angelus method of shoe care for about 6 months now. Rather than heating the wax with a match I used an 1800 degree micro blowtorch. The match tended to carbonize the wax on the shoe (if that is even possible). I picked this tip up from a shoe shine pro in an airport I frequent. I have just purchased some Grensons from benniesshoes.com as well as some C&J Handgrade Aintrees from PLAL and cannot bring myself to using the blowtorch method going forward. With that, I have been aggressively searching Google for improved shine techniques. Military Spit Shine: http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/gener.../spitshine.htm Another Spit Shine: http://www.calguard.ca.gov/casmr/spitshine.htm Note - I only follow steps 4 onward on the 2nd link. I like the idea of using a hairdryer which adds moderate but not overwhelming heat to the wax. Regards, CT