• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Care

Tristan944

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Allen Edmonds Carlyle's in Walnut with leather soles and Fifth Ave's in Dark Chili with Dainite soles.

I was wondering if someone can give me advice on how to properly care for them, or maybe post links to where this has been discussed.

How often do I wax, use leather lotion, polish, etc? Do I have to use the AE products that are the same color as my shoes?

Thank you!

Ejx

Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of white leather sneakers, and was wondering how to take care of them. I am thinking a nice weatherproofing oil and cleaner and conditioner. Looked at leather honey & Lexol, but on white leather reviews seem mixed.

Any good leather proofing and conditioner for white sneakers that doesn't ruin them?

thanks!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of white leather sneakers, and was wondering how to take care of them. I am thinking a nice weatherproofing oil and cleaner and conditioner. Looked at leather honey & Lexol, but on white leather reviews seem mixed.

Any good leather proofing and conditioner for white sneakers that doesn't ruin them?

thanks!
Bick 4 conditioner would work for white leather.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

thanks!

You don't really need to use traditional shoe care products on sneakers. Those are for traditional shoes.

However, I've found that it's useful to have a specialized sneaker cleaner on hand. You don't really need these, either. But they're relatively cheap ($20 to $30) and very effective. They usually come in packages with a cleaning solution and a stiff bristle brush. The solution is gentle enough for suede, leather, and canvas, which is typically used in combination on sneakers. The brush is also very effective on sneakers without scuffing the material.

There's a whole industry now on specialized sneaker care products. As the market for sneakers has exploded in the last twenty years, so has the market for these accessories. There are also specialized sneaker care 'drop off' stores.

I use Jason Markk, but you can get similar products from Crep Protect and Reshoevn8r, and ShoeMGK. Each of these companies will sell other products, such as waterproofers. I don't treat any of my sneakers to waterproofers, but you can use the same stuff you use on suede shoes. Even Scotchgard is fine.

An example of EG x Vans that I cleaned with Jason Markk. I'm linking a video below, but there are countless others on YouTube if you search for these companies' names.

tumblr_inline_ns7jkrya3D1qfex1b_500.jpeg
tumblr_inline_ns7jjklyGR1qfex1b_500.jpeg
tumblr_inline_ns7jjvfUDP1qfex1b_500.jpeg

Ejx

Reaction score
Thanks guys! So full grain leather sneakers don't need the same care as shoes?

I think I wasn't clear enough, when I said sneakers I meant casual sneakers like common projects. (mine are not that high end though)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not in my experience. I have Common Projects and Margiela GATs that are approaching ten years old. They haven't needed anything except for occasional cleaning.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I wasn't clear enough, when I said sneakers I meant casual sneakers like common projects. (mine are not that high end though)
Leather is still leather, whether it is made up into a sneaker or into a dress shoe. So if you would use leather conditioner on a dress shoe then it makes sense to consider a conditioner on good quality leather sneakers if your goal is to preserve the leather.

The difference between the two cases is that a beaten up pair of white sneakers can look good while a beaten up pair of dress shoes usually doesn’t. If you want your leather sneakers to look like new for as long as possible, I don’t see why you wouldn’t occasionally condition the leather and even use shoe trees (though I don’t). But you might well want your shoes to look worn over time, in which case it may not matter.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Leather is still leather, whether it is made up into a sneaker or into a dress shoe. So if you would use leather conditioner on a dress shoe then it makes sense to consider a conditioner on good quality leather sneakers if your goal is to preserve the leather.

The difference between the two cases is that a beaten up pair of white sneakers can look good while a beaten up pair of dress shoes usually doesn’t. If you want your leather sneakers to look like new for as long as possible, I don’t see why you wouldn’t occasionally condition the leather and even use shoe trees (though I don’t). But you might well want your shoes to look worn over time, in which case it may not matter.

Curious, have you had leather on sneakers crack from drying out?

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I once tried Saphir Renovateur on my Common Projects, but it just seemed to sit there and create a greasy mess, instead of absorbing into the leather. I guess it's because the CP's are chrome tanned as opposed to vegetable tanned.

Goofy

Reaction score
The point with leather sneakers is that most aren’t made of full grain leather. Most sneakers including common project are made of chrome tanned leather. A chemical process which improves whitening of the leather, adds toughens and makes it more durable. Therefore it’s not necessary to condition leather sneakers. Cleaning them with a product like Jason Markk suffices. Dirty leather and soles can be restored and whitened by brushing with a solution of plain white toothpaste. Other than that sneakers don’t require much maintenance. Wiping with a damp cloth is enough to remove dirt. Actually there are very few manufacturers that produce vegetable tanned full grain leather sneakers. The firm Crown Northampton being one of them. They even produce cordovan sneakers which can cost up to a thousand dollars.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious, have you had leather on sneakers crack from drying out?
Not specifically crack but I’ve used conditioner on leather sneakers that got very wet and soggy and then were a little stiff after drying out. seemed to help. I don’t use conditioner routinely.

Ejx

Reaction score
So in white leather sneakers does it matter genuine vs full grain leather? Given the leather is treated?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So in white leather sneakers does it matter genuine vs full grain leather? Given the leather is treated?

Genuine leather is the worst grade of real leather.

ridgerider

Reaction score

Genuine leather is the lowest quality leather and is more like MDF is in the wood world. Full-grain should wear longer and in its natural state, will absorb conditioner however if it has been coated or chemically treated, it often won't absorb, or absorb very little. Care for treated full-grain will be different than full-grain this is veg tanned and stained. Just depends on how it was tanned and if it was coated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads