• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe care

RMW95

Reaction score
Hi,

My love for shoes is only just developing and my knowledge of shoe care is very low. I know there are plenty of threads and materials available on shoe care but I'm finding it all rather confusing. I've looked at creams, waxes and polishes. The difference between them is confusing me as well as when to use them.

I own 5 pairs of smart shoes currently- tan loakes (below), black loakes, dark navy ted baker formal shoes, blue suede ted baker loafers and brown zara loafers.
Here are the loakes, would a loake tan polish/wax be most suitable or a saphir polish/wax, as I've heard great things about this brand. I would get a black and navy polish/wax from the same company for my other shoes. Could a cream be used on a suede shoe, as I've seen they can be used on nubuck leathers, or is it just best to use a suede brush? No clue on suede care to be perfectly honest.

My main confusion is firstly the difference between waxes and polishes and which is perceived as the best, and secondly when should a leather cream and polish/wax be used, ie cream everyday or only when I polish the shoes? Finally, I plan to buy some cedar shoe trees for all of my shoes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 113 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 102 30.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%