• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Care

us3r123

Reaction score
How do I this look where the shoes are darker around the brogueing? Can I do this with polish or is it how the shoe is made?

Thanks!

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It kind of looks like the shoes have been striped and then dyed badly and the dye has collected around the joins (I've actually done this before by accident and was pleased with the results)/

us3r123

Reaction score
So there is no way to get this effect with a pair of shoes unless you purchase them like that?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done this & will probably do it to a pair of Peals I have.

Just carefully apply dark polish to the areas you want dark, rub it in, repeat.

Then brush with a horsehair brush.

Done.

I don't have pics.

Trojanman74

Reaction score
i hate you for how beautiful youve already made them. ill just keep on looking at my finsburrys and tell myself how happy i am

Nexus6

Reaction score
QUICK and CHEAP suggestions... Option 1: Shoe cobblers (Shoe Repair Shops) do carry shoe dye in a spray can. It would require some skill though... IF I were to attempt this.... Clean the shoe first. Let dry. I would then mask off all the shoe area that I don't want to change, as it's only the broguing you want to change. You know...the way an Auto Body shop does with masking tape and newspapers, exposing only the area to be re-finished. I would use the 'Half-Sticky) type of tape. Leave only the broguing exposed, then I would take the can of spray dye, and, at a distance of at least 2 feet, With the spray dye, whisp quickly past the shoe. 1 pass ought to do the job. You really would only want a hint of the darker color to achieve the effect. wait about 30 seconds to 1 minute for the newly applied dye to set, then remove the tape/newspapers. I would not reccomend 2 passes of the spray can, because you'll have created a line where the spray dye hit the shoe., and what you're trying to achieve is rather this subtle transition of colors. Once finished, I would give the entire shoe a thin rub with some leather lotion, let dry, buff with a horsehair shoe brush. After one polishing, the effect should deepen. Option 2: Mask off the rest of the shoe, exposing only the broguing. Take your Black or Burgundy Shoe brush. Hopefully you do have a seperate brush for each color of shoe. I have several brushes here: One for Black shoes One for Burgundy shoes One for Brown shoes and Two brushes used to buff clear polish. Brush over the exposed broguing. There should be some residual black polish still in the bristles, and will probably be enough to create the effect you want. Remove the tape and newspaper masking, then give a very light buff of the brosh over the areas to 'blend' the colors. Several strokes over the toe area as well. Leave for a half hour. Apply a very thin application of leather lotion with your bare hand, working quickly and lightly over the shoe. This will also help blend. Too much rubbing will take the darker color off so be careful. It's the fastest, cheapest method, and best of all, its reversible, should you not like the results. Option 3: If you are industrious and have an airbrush, and some liquid shoe dye (watered down by 80%) you can achieve this effect to perfection. before attempting any of these options, I would practice on a pair of shoes I no longer care about. Standard Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk. Perhaps some members here have already found a solution or method to achieve this effect at home? I would love to see some Before & After shots. I hope this helps.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trojanman74
i hate you for how beautiful youve already made them. ill just keep on looking at my finsburrys and tell myself how happy i am

Thanks for filling a niche in my already extremely short list of shoes.

And Greg said they weren't worth getting kicked out of the MC NPC, psshhhh!

The same technique that I mentioned in my earlier post, just applied to the toe & quarter here, I decided not to do what I said I might after seeing the shoes again. IME Sargent shoes come to you dull but are like a blank canvas to the artist:

PealCo2008.jpg

PealCo2007.jpg

PealCo2009.jpg

PealCo2012.jpg

PealCo2014.jpg

PealCo2015.jpg

PealCo3002.jpg

PealCo3007.jpg

PealCo3011.jpg

PealCo3013.jpg

us3r123

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies, I will begin working on my shoes!!! Bigbris1, those look awesome, also I looked at your post on antiquing, sounds like fun!

Thanks!

P.S. I think I may have exceeded the allowed amount of exclamation points per post, but I am excited...

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem and thank you. I have found that black polish, especially creme polish works wonders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads