• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe care without the shine?

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I want to take care of my leather shoes, but I don't want the "shine" that shoe polish typically gives. A long time ago I remember getting some kind of wax (bee wax or honey wax or something?) that was supposed to only condition the leather, but not add any color or shine. Does anyone know of such products? I think it was used for leather jackets and such, but I was thinking maybe it could also be useful for shoes?

In short, I want to keep the leather nice and smooth, but not have mirrors on my toe caps. How?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use creams instead of polish

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use Saphir cream and a brush. I get a nice low-key, almost matte shine.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Use creams instead of polish

So any neutral cream will do? I assume Kiwi makes one? (Or any other major brand that I'm likely to find in the shops?)

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
So any neutral cream will do? I assume Kiwi makes one? (Or any other major brand that I'm likely to find in the shops?)
No, you can use color creams. Saphir is good as mafoo was saying. Meltonian creams are also good IME

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle

Shell out for Saphir. Kiwi may or may not dry out your shoes, depending on who you listen to (it definitely messed up one of my Lobbs). Plus, Saphir smells good enough to inhale.

Siggy

Reaction score
Yeah, use a creme the color of your shoes and a horsehair brush. Saphir is very good but may not be easy to find in much of the US. I never used Kiwi creme but their wax is fine. Maybe try Allen Edmonds creme if you can't find Saphir.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
Yeah, use a creme the color of your shoes and a horsehair brush. Saphir is very good but may not be easy to find in much of the US. I never used Kiwi creme but their wax is fine. Maybe try Allen Edmonds creme if you can't find Saphir.

You can get Saphir on the internet pretty easily. I think Allen Edmonds creme is just re-branded Meltonian, which is good enough.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
No, you can use color creams. Saphir is good as mafoo was saying. Meltonian creams are also good IME

Hm.. OK. But then I have to find the color that matches exactly with my shoes? If not, I assume the cream will discolor the shoes over time? If possible, I would prefer a neutral cream/wax that can be used with any shoe color.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Shell out for Saphir. Kiwi may or may not dry out your shoes, depending on who you listen to (it definitely messed up one of my Lobbs). Plus, Saphir smells good enough to inhale.

It's not about the money (assuming Saphir costs less than an arm and a leg), but rather availability. I don't mind ordering stuff online, but sometimes shipping can take quite a while. Anyone got any links to your recommended products/online stores?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Francos for Saphir, shoeshinekit for Meltonian. It's not an exact science, you don't have to get the exact same tinge as your shoes - can totally live with 4 colors in your shoe shine box (light brown, dark brown, blue, burgundy)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Francos for Saphir, shoeshinekit for Meltonian. It's not an exact science, you don't have to get the exact same tinge as your shoes - can totally live with 4 colors in your shoe shine box (light brown, dark brown, blue, burgundy)

TITCR.

Any cream will change the color of your shoes, even if only subtlely. I use neutral on everything. I used to use the multi-color system described above, but I think this is working out fine.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TITCR
I have no idea what this mean. Is this lawyer talk? NTTIAWWT

IME, color creams give much better result (smooth blemishes, etc...) than neutral. YMMW

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TITCR.

Any cream will change the color of your shoes, even if only subtlely. I use neutral on everything. I used to use the multi-color system described above, but I think this is working out fine.

I was told to avoid neutral polish or cream. I do now. I am not sure why. I am a sucker like that.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have no idea what this mean. Is this lawyer talk? NTTIAWWT

This Is The Credited Response.

It's neurotic-law-school-applicant talk, not lawyer talk. I forgot what board I was on and what year it was.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Aha, this seems to be similar to the stuff I was thinking about:

It's neutral color, based on water and beeswax.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads