1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe care without the shine?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nordicstyle, Jan 13, 2009.

1. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Alternatively, if you live near a Berluti store you can also pick up their polish (made by Saphir). Living in London I find this easier than ordering from France, and I find Berluti's range in polish (and incidentally also in socks) to be excellent. The polish range includes a plethora of colours as well as neutral-beeswax (which I use as a first coat) and a 'cleaning wax', the properties of which I have never quite managed to figure out

2. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

In addition to Saphir, I recommend a leather conditioner called Crema Alpina. It may now be called Crema Nubiana or something like that. Look at the Franco's website. The product is fantastic.

3. nordicstyle

nordicstyle Senior member

Alternatively, if you live near a Berluti store you can also pick up their polish (made by Saphir). Living in London I find this easier than ordering from France, and I find Berluti's range in polish (and incidentally also in socks) to be excellent. The polish range includes a plethora of colours as well as neutral-beeswax (which I use as a first coat) and a 'cleaning wax', the properties of which I have never quite managed to figure out

Sounds good, except that I am not looking for a polish. I want something that does not give the shine a polish does. Other people in the thread recommended me getting the cream instead for that purpose.

I think the Shoe Polish Crème Surfine Pommadier SAPHIRÂ[​IMG] or Cream Shoe Polish Pommadier SAPHIRÂ[​IMG] MEDAILLE D'ORÂ[​IMG], which they sell at www.valmour.fr is what I'm after.

4. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

5. theyare

theyare Senior member

sorry for the noob question, but are cream, conditioner and lotion all for different purposes?

6. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

sorry for the noob question, but are cream, conditioner and lotion all for different purposes?

Yes, but I think there is some overlap. Perhaps RIDER or someone else will chime in on the exact differences. I use saphir conditioner/lotion only after stripping off old wax/cream, but otherwise cream, and then depending on whether i want a glaze, wax.

7. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

If you don't want a shine, just get some conditioner and rub that on periodically.

8. shoeguide

shoeguide Active Member

Hi Lord Sheraton balsam is good