1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

shoe care supply checklist

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aybojs, May 9, 2005.

1. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior member

2. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

3. talldesk

talldesk Well-Known Member

No. Cleaner/conditioner is inadequate to take off old layers of wax. Use rubbing alcohol, get a bottle. If you're dealing with expensive shoes, you might want to mix with some water.

4. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

No. Cleaner/conditioner is inadequate to take off old layers of wax. Use rubbing alcohol, get a bottle. If you're dealing with expensive shoes, you might want to mix with some water.

what is an easy way to tell if they have old excess wax?

5. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

bumping this up for fall/winter prep.

any tips on waterproofing, treating for overexposure to moisture, etc?

mostly I won't be wearing mine until I get into the office.
    while on the street, i'll be wearing rain boots, Tretorn.

6. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

first time i used a horsehair shoeshine brush (been using rags before now).

dare i say, amazing.
    gives it a great shine.

so satisfying seeing it go from muddy and matte to pure shine.

7. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Hello. Got these Gravati's (new in box, wrapped in tissue, with shoe bag) from Zappos. However they came with dust deposited on them, had somewhat stiff leather, and overall looking very dull from the outside. The insoles and lining is perfect, with golden gravati logo.

I tried Creme Alpina (cleaner/conditioner), Kiwi shoe polish, and then 1 more coat of Creme Alpina which improved the condition. However still not like new shining shoes. Any suggestions how to nourish/polish it before I wear please? The split toe feels more 'smooth' and is shining more than the rest of the uppers.

Also any comments on quality - it has grains which I think are a sign of good leather?

Many thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. koolhistorian

koolhistorian Senior member

Saphir Renovateur (or apply liberally Crema Alpina), let sit for one night, brush and buff, wear for 2-3 hours - just to see where the creases start to form - and then apply wax.
    Those are pebble grain, so they will not shine as plain calf, but you can spit shine the toe and the back quarters.
    Pebble grain is not full grain, it is a kind of corrected grain (the grains are stamped on the leather), but they seem good quality.

9. goodlensboy

Many thanks for the useful advice koolhistorian. It worked. However, I just noticed there are scuffs all over the vamp stiching, might be a manufacturing defect. I would probably unfortunately return them now.

Your help is really very much appreciated.

Re leather type, wondering if it is tumbled calf that gravati uses on many of its models.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. GBer

GBer Senior member

first time i used a horsehair shoeshine brush (been using rags before now).

dare i say, amazing.
    gives it a great shine.

so satisfying seeing it go from muddy and matte to pure shine.

I use a soft horsehair brush, then a rag. Similar result.

11. GBer

GBer Senior member

what is an easy way to tell if they have old excess wax?

Maybe Saphir RENOMAT might help.

For stain-removing and in-depth cleaning of the pores of smooth leather, removing dirt marks and deposits of products based on resin and silicone. Essential before using Saphir shoe polish which contains neither silicone nor resin. Non-agressive formula.

http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-prod...omat-saphir,20

If you contact Valmour, they are very helpful and have a wide range of Saphir products.

12. Petrus1

Petrus1 Senior member

I currently only use kiwi polish but would it be wise to swap to meltonian cream instead? I'm really more interested in prolonging shoe life rather than a shiny finish. or perhaps use both somehow?
    To prolong the life of leather you must keep it supple and from drying out. Use mink oil paste(it comes in a tin like saddle soap) Use a tiny amount a couple of times a year. Just be careful if the shoe is a very light colour. Even my 25 yo Churches shoes are still soft and look new but even cheap shoes will benefit from using the mink oil and won't crack.

13. Petrus1

Petrus1 Senior member

One tip
    Use a stiff brass metal brush on suede to clean and keep the nap. Don't put anything else on the shoes like water repellants or use cleaners.

And don't use the suede brush on Nubuck leather. These should be brushed the old fashioned way with a Rubber brush (suede brushes will scratch them) Since you can't find these good rubber brushes easily then just use a soft suede brush that are found commonly.
    The rubber nubuck brush looks like this and you can see the rubber bristles
    http://shop.listingsca.com/shop/prod...d_2527282.html

I usually like a larger brush for suede and nubuck but you'll have to ask a shoemaker to find one for you because they are not common.

14. koolhistorian

koolhistorian Senior member

Many thanks for the useful advice koolhistorian. It worked. However, I just noticed there are scuffs all over the vamp stiching, might be a manufacturing defect. I would probably unfortunately return them now.

Your help is really very much appreciated.

Re leather type, wondering if it is tumbled calf that gravati uses on many of its models.

It is normal with mocassin construction - they will crease more than the usual shoe - but if you can return them, and you do not like them, your choice!

15. goodlensboy

Many thanks for the explanation.

Could you please also suggest what might have caused the white scuffs over the wamp,,, are these normal, or a damage, or probably just becuase of shoes being exposed for a long long time in display. They appear to be defected finishing but I find it hard to believe Gravati can do this!

I tried crema alpina, kiwi, and bata's delicate gel - all temporarily made them look ok (not polished, smooth and shiny like the rest of the stiching though), but then back to dry/white. Could brown shoe cream resolve this?

16. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

I didn't read through all of the pages, but how does everyone feel about waterproofing a new shoe before polishing?

17. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

How long does Meltonian keep? Doing a bit of surfing I found a trade place that sells to the public. Prices if you ignore shipping are pretty good . Best point is a full range of colours. Problem is the small consumer tin is 500grams.

18. Salad

Salad Senior member

I searched this thread but don't really see whether people use suede spray protectors or just clean shoes when they get dirty. Is there a consensus regarding whether to use a suede stain protector or not? Do silicon based sprays do more harm than good?
    I just got a pair of suede monks and am thinking about whether to use a spray protector while they're still clean. Any advice is appreciated.

19. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

Hey folks.

I have searched for a thread on shoe repairs\\cleanup and this is the closest I have been able to find. I am hoping someone can help me here so I do not have to start a new thread.

I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds Stockbridge shoes off of ebay. They are in pretty good shape overall but they do have some spotting on the leather that appears to be be from water? The shoes are a cherry \\ chili color so it is fairly easy to see.

My question is, I want to be able to clean these up but when I looked around in a retail store, all I could find was a full suite of Kiwi products. There were some cleaners for all types of shoes, as well as some polish for specific colors (i.e. brown and black). I am assuming it is a bad idea to use the brown pollish for a cherry\\chili type of color. What would folks recommend?

I am also considering buying a pair of Allen Edmonds black McAllister wingtips so if I need to place an order online for a good kit, I would like to know if I need to order somethign specifically for black as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!

20. jbharris88

jbharris88 Senior member

My question is, I want to be able to clean these up but when I looked around in a retail store, all I could find was a full suite of Kiwi products. There were some cleaners for all types of shoes, as well as some polish for specific colors (i.e. brown and black). I am assuming it is a bad idea to use the brown pollish for a cherry\\chili type of color. What would folks recommend?

I am also considering buying a pair of Allen Edmonds black McAllister wingtips so if I need to place an order online for a good kit, I would like to know if I need to order somethign specifically for black as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Go to an AE store or website and get the color products to match your shoes. Conditioner/cleaner to clean them. Shoe cream to renew, restore, moisturize the leather. Polish to shine + protect. If you have serious issues w/ the water spotting either send customer service a picture and ask their advice or go somewhere local to fix them. There is also the AE re-crafting option if they are REALLY bad.