shoe care supply checklist

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aybojs, May 9, 2005.

1. NerfArrowstorm

NerfArrowstorm Member

Is it necessary to keep shoes in the trees after they have fully dried out (24-48 hours)?

I wouldn't think that shoes would form creases or lose their shape from just sitting there as long as they have already slowly dried with a shoe tree inside. :dunno:

2. Irond Will

Irond Will Senior member

Is it necessary to keep shoes in the trees after they have fully dried out (24-48 hours)?

I wouldn't think that shoes would form creases or lose their shape from just sitting there as long as they have already slowly dried with a shoe tree inside. :dunno:

I've seen very old leather shoes that have folded up into something that looks like a jelly roll. Leaving shoes for a few days without a tree is probably fine, but over a long term, they're much better off in a tree.

3. NerfArrowstorm

NerfArrowstorm Member

4. JamesW

JamesW Well-Known Member

Just bought whole bunch of shoe creams, conditions and wax from Franco's. I live in Calgary, Alberta and good creams and conditioners are hard to come by. With the exchange rate and shipping the cost ended up quite a bit larger than I wanted to spend but I consoled myself by saying that these will probably last me a while.

Ron - thanks for your detailed post - I thought that I did a pretty decent job cleaning my shoe but after reading your post, I realized that I need to spend a little more time doing it.

A question though - does anyone know of a good cobbler in Calgary? I'm still kinda new in this city and any reference would be helpful. Thank you in advance

[​IMG]

5. backboard60

backboard60 Senior member

i use that with a dab of baby oil

6. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Senior member

7. PocketTriangle

PocketTriangle Member

8. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Senior member

dude that guy takes a lighter to his shoes, I don't think I want to do that to my Lobbs. Can anyone translate whats on that french site?

9. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Senior member

FAO Canadians, Shoppers Drug Mart is now stocking Meltonian cream polish...

10. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I just got my first pair Crocket and Jones in black calf. They are new and unpolished. What should I do to protect them? I have Allen Edmonds shoes polish (the one in the squeezable tubes) and Barker wax polish.

11. Trumpormonkey

Trumpormonkey New Member

Sorry to bump this thread (because it's fairly old) but I thought it'd be best to ask my question here.

I have a bottle of Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP and Black Kiwi Parade Gloss, my shoes (Redwing 9014D in Black) are new and only worn once but not outside, I have a cloth and a brush, etc.

What should I do to my shoes? (as in shoe care wise) and how should I do it?

I know it's a pretty newbie question but I'm fairly new to shoe care.

12. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

I'm sure everyone is sick of me touting this one, but I think this is just about the coolest shoe care kit yet; if you own fine shoes like edward green, crockett & jones, Lobb, etc. this would make a great gift (or gift from yourself to yourself, as I plan to do as soon as the wife moves into our new place in VA....a heavy package will be waiting for pickup)

wooden shoe kit with Saphir polishes and brushes, $175 plus shipping

http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=56368

Badass, and will make me happy on saturdays when I crack it open to do the shoe shinin.

13. Chips

Chips Senior member

I've read this thread in the past and have since recently ordered a bunch of stuff from Safir. I can't recommend them highly enough. Amazing products, they smell better than all the others out there and I agree with what others have commented, that a little goes a long way.

14. Trumpormonkey

Trumpormonkey New Member

anyone got any suggestions on my last post?

15. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Senior member