• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe care for large collections

liahos1

Reaction score
This should hopefully be a short and to the point thread. If one has accumulated a number of shoes but has never worn them, do those shoes need to be conditioned?

E.g. I have a couple of JLs and C&J HG's I bought during Barney's NY bankruptcy. I think I bought these 2-3 years ago but I've never gotten around to wearing them. I was watching a mirror polish shine tutorial video on Youtube a few days ago and the person (not Kirby) said that shoes need to be regularly conditioned even if they aren't worn. This gave me a little anxiety if its true.

How does this work out in real life if one has accumulated 20-30 pairs of shoes? It seems like a horrible drag on time.

Leiker

Reaction score
This should hopefully be a short and to the point thread. If one has accumulated a number of shoes but has never worn them, do those shoes need to be conditioned?

E.g. I have a couple of JLs and C&J HG's I bought during Barney's NY bankruptcy. I think I bought these 2-3 years ago but I've never gotten around to wearing them. I was watching a mirror polish shine tutorial video on Youtube a few days ago and the person (not Kirby) said that shoes need to be regularly conditioned even if they aren't worn. This gave me a little anxiety if its true.

How does this work out in real life if one has accumulated 20-30 pairs of shoes? It seems like a horrible drag on time.
Polish/condition one pair a month and you get to every pair in two years, so I don't think the time involved for 20-30 pairs should be too onerous.

liahos1

Reaction score
Thank you both for your input. I think I’ll just condition and polish as needed and not “preemptively”

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe decent calf leather should hold up well if just left alone in their bags and boxes -- unless they are in really hot, or really humid or really dry storage conditions where you might need to worry about mold or drying out.

You may want to use a mild conditioner on them and brush every few years just to be safe... something like a light coat of Lexol or Bick 4.

Non-calf leathers can be different.
Shell cordovan will dry out if left alone over time, so you should definitely moisturize and condition cordovan shoes every once in a while.

And cheap bonded leathers will self destruct over time no matter what. But you mentioned JL and C&J so I think you'll be fine.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can also outsource this to any somewhat decent cobbler. Decide what's more valuable, the time or cash outlay.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Shirley may have a butler, but is the butler expected to do the job of a valet?

We live in difficult times. These days a Butler is expected to do the job of not only a Valet, but also (God forbid) an Under Butler too. We must simply keep our chins up at the lack of domestic help

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO the leather should be hydrated at a minimum (depending on the leather type. CXL would not need it as much I'd imagine). I personally make sure mine have some sort of conditioner every 1-2 years. For suede I condition the inside of the shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads