Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

shoe buffing maching

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

Just wondering, does anyone own anything like this? Would be curious to hear feedback as to whether or not this would be a nice toy to have.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Yep, I think there was a thread about them a long while back. I have one, almost never use it because I rarely wear shoes that need it, but it does work very well. If you have space to set it up, why not. If you check thrift stores you can get one for 10-20 bucks in perfect shape.

3. Alex_O

Alex_O Well-Known Member

Super Luxury cars should have these, incorparate it into the footrests.

Even better would be a compartment for small Guatemalan service boy, he could buff, sew on buttons , cobble together shoes.

Maybach call me .

4. Tom

Tom Senior member

Small guatemalan boy? Okay, since I have lived in Guatemala, I get your reference, but it does sounds like some white guy being a horrible bigot. How about a small robot valet that can do all the same?

5. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Don't waste your money. Unless you're too fat or lazy to bend down and brush off your shoes yourself, these things are worthless. There's no polish in them, so the only cleaning your shoes get is the rubbing of the brushes and most of the ones I've seen don't even spin fast enough to buff your shoes, much less polish them. These are the type of things that you get at Christmas because somebody went to Sharper Image and then 5 or 10 years later, you put them in a garage sale because they've never worked and they just take up space in your house. Bradford

6. j

Au contraire, mine has a very serious motor (it dims my bedside lamp when I plug it into the same circuit) and will give a great final buff or touch-up to a pair of already polished shoes. It's not for anything but the last step, but it definitely works. I guess I thought they were all the same, but I'm sure the cheaper ones have weaker motors.

I wouldn't keep it out unless I had a walk-in closet, though. It stays in the back of my closet and comes out only for a full polish job on a pair of shoes.

Edit: I don't think they would be worth the $70 Sharper image wants, but I would pick one up at a thrift store for $10-20 if I didn't already have one.

7. Phil

Phil Senior member

I must be horrible, that guatamalan boy reference had be laughing histerically. Yes, a robot would work, but it wouldnt be nearly as funny.

8. TCN

TCN Senior member

I guess they're kind of neat, more as office decor than anything else for me.

I have an older one, w/o the handle (superfluous in my opinion), that has a powerful motor. My issue/question is what do you do when the red and black "fur cones" get too dirty or worn?

9. j

The handle is nice for those of us who try to avoid stooping over to do things, although it does make the thing look a little goofier than it already does. Also, how else are you going to turn it on and off? Maybe a foot pedal for the other foot, but staying balanced is important while using one of these.

I imagine you can get the replacement wheels somewhere. Drycleaners seem to have these a lot, maybe ask one of them.

10. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

My mistake then - the only one's I have ever seen and/or tried didn't seem to work that well, but I probably haven't used a good one.

Bradford

11. TCN

TCN Senior member

That's a good idea, re: the drycleaners. My older model does not have variable speed, just a button you press with your foot to engage the one and only speed. I suppose with the variable speed models, there really is no other option than the handle . . . wait. what about a programmable smart remote with a jog shuttle? [​IMG]

12. matcha

matcha Well-Known Member

I have a Beck shoe polisher. These are more expensive than the Sharper Image's. Haven't seen the latter but I'm sure you get proportionally what you pay for. The Beck has a strong, fast motor. The lambswool pads last forever (mine lasted 10 years with almost daily polishing) and can be replaced, $20 a piece or $35-40 the pair. Search on line. www.shoeshinekit.com lists them, and the company answered that theirs are the Beck brand replacements. I used to use the Beck alot, as mentioned. However while I was waiting to replace the pads, which finally wore out, I stopped using it for about a year. I found for a daily, one or two pair polishing job, a buffing cloth was just as easy.

13. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Guys, DO NOT USE THESE MACHINES, if you are buying fine shoes and using these machines you should just buy at Payless, these machines, unless you spend a lot of money, have plastic or nylon bristles that at high speeds can scratch the finish on a shoe, neve use anything on your shoes that is not natural, cotton, silk, or wool...but best of all, a good old fashion HORSE HAIR brush is best....trust me on this issue, in reference to your shoes, i would never steer anyone in the wrong direction.

14. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Just as you wouldn't put a fine automobile through an automated car wash.