• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe buffer, a nice luxury

amemovox

Reaction score
Certainly you have seen this shoe buffing machines that sit on the floor. They have been around for years and come in a range of quality levels. I used to own one (now pitched) that was ok but you could stop the motor with any degree of pressure on the buff wheel pads.

If you own one of these machines, your experiences would be helpful. Any brand recommendations, sources, etc.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=polisher ..

The good ones have lambswool brushes and high torque motors, but I don't know if I'd really recommend them anymore. My reasoning is that they are only good for a touch-up, but by using them for a touch-up you are exposing the brushes to the dirt on the shoes, which then probably stays on there and scratches shoes from then on. If you do a mirror shine to the toe of your shoe, this will probably take it off to some degree. If you don't mind that, then they are definitely convenient before walking out the door.

From what I have read, the cheaper ones are not worth bothering with. Get a heavy duty one or nothing.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, office conversation piece only, but go heavy duty and vintage, minus the tall handle . . . foot switch only. Very 1960's, red carpet, men's club lunch . . . London Chop House restroom for those of you from Detroit.
sly.gif

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make your own from a bench grinder.

vc2000

Reaction score
Don't use one at a public place. A lot of men's stores have them. A law firm I use has one in the men's restroom. I used it once and the prior user must have had shoe polish caked on his shoes as it streaked off on my shoes. The polish happened to be black and my shoes weren't...
crazy.gif
What a freakin mess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads