Shoe Brand Comparison: C&J, Vass, Cleverley

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kierrane, May 18, 2017 at 8:40 PM.

1. Kierrane

Kierrane Member

Hi folks,

I personally like shoes which are long and narrow with a very slim waist and chiselled toe (think G&G Deco, which I can't afford right now).

I've browsed through numerous threads but cant get an idea of how these 3 brands (which appear to be the best in this price range) compare to each other, bearing the criteria above.

Would anyone care to share their opinions, with pictures if possible?

Thank you

*edit: Forgot to mention Alfred Sargent. Especially the Moore model

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 2:28 AM
  2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Cleverley is, for the large part, made by C&J.

3. ap10046

ap10046 Senior member

4. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Senior member

Vass U, K or S last. From personal experience, the U has a beautiful chiseled toe, and all Vass shoes are hand welted. The other brands you mentioned are GW welted.

5. Kierrane

Kierrane Member

ty guys. Does anyone else have any opinions?

6. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Senior member

7. starro

starro Senior member

It sounds like from your post that you have not put any of these on. A word of warning: shoes that look good in a stand-alone picture may not look so good after you lace them up and look down. Features like chisel toe and elongated last may look appealing in the pictures, but, actually worn, you might have the reaction "Holy crap, I'm wearing women's shoes!" Just a word of warning.

Also a slim shoe won't do any good if it doesn't conform to your feet (plenty have wide feet).

8. IChen

IChen Senior member

Starro makes a great point, you need to actually try the shoes on. I think Vass U-Last is narrow? But it has a high instep and I never bought 1 since it wasn't right. C&J benchgrade has been nice.

Looking and deciding between brands is fine but actually try the shoes on and decide instead of just looking at shoes online, especially just based on quality. Quality is fine but honestly....how important is that when you get to a point where you're choosing between good brands offering quality shoes..

9. Kierrane

Kierrane Member

As much as I'd love to try on these brands, I dont think any shop in my country stocks them :(

At most, they would probably be affiliates with like a very limited selection from each brand

10. IChen

IChen Senior member

I mean just from personal experience I don't know if Vass u last is great since you got to fill out the higher instep I feel they have. But again like there's not a huge amount of difference in quality between those 3 brands where like it really matters over looks and preferences.