• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe boxes are going in the trash!

lordofpi

Reaction score
That's it, I can't take it anymore. I've lived around these things and made special places for them for years, but it's starting to look like Gary's Shoes & Accessories's stockroom in my house. I think I am going to save all my shoe bags (maybe...).

Looking back, shoe boxes are a funny thing to save, because once the shoes come out of them, they never go back inside. You all have one day to talk me out of this.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife saves all of her shoes boxes, but I think it's kind of crazy. I made a decision years ago to toss any of mine that I still had lying around, and now I always do so as soon as I make a new purchase.

Berticus

Reaction score
talk you out of this? Pft, I always throw them once I take the shoes out. For now, since I don't have a large collection, and I'm in college, I just pair them up and line them from formal to least formal under my bed. When I get my own place, I'll get a shoe rack or something. The only time I could think of that requires shoe boxes is moving.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all of my shoes are stored in bags, with trees of course, and then in the box they came in on the shelf. If i didn't have the boxes, i couldn't store as many shoes.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they are useful for 3 situations which may or may not apply...

1)You view your shoe rotation as a collection and thus want to keep the boxes, shoe bags, and any pamphlets that might have come with them.

2)You might one day want to sell a pair of your shoes and keep the box in order maintain the max. possible resale value. Although I am not sure how much of a factor this is on B&S.

3)The box is geniunely nice and helps round out the experience of owning the shoes. I can think of a couple of boxes where this might apply...Grenson for PS, the Phineas Cole ones in particular look like little file drawers; Kujo Suzuki; Paolo Scafora, etc. I don't have any really nice boxes, but do like the hand lettered nature on my EG,Barker Black and John Lobb boxes (size, model name, last number, etc).

I've been thinking about my box situation too as they are starting to pile up. I don't keep any of my shoes in them. But I have kept the boxes thus far.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dispose of the boxes, too. I place trees in mine and then place the shoes in bags. They are stored on cedar shelves.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Maybe I own too many pairs of shoes (by normal human standards; certainly not by SF standards), but if you keep all your shoes in the bags (which is certainly a legitimate way to maintain them), how can you tell which is which?

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lordofpi
Maybe I own too many pairs of shoes (by normal human standards; certainly not by SF standards), but if you keep all your shoes in the bags (which is certainly a legitimate way to maintain them), how can you tell which is which?

Perhaps you could have numbered spots on your shelf, and a look-up sheet next to it.

On another note, if you happen to be throwing away any boxes for Zegna Couture shoes, I'd be happy to relieve you of them
smile.gif

fdbaker

Reaction score
Some shoe boxes (especially Bontoni) are just too nice to throw out. I store sweaters in them.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
Perhaps you could have numbered spots on your shelf, and a look-up sheet next to it.

On another note, if you happen to be throwing away any boxes for Zegna Couture shoes, I'd be happy to relieve you of them
smile.gif

Nice. I could type the whole thing up, then print out little label cards with pictures of the shoes on them, and keep them in front of each pair. Oh yeah, that'll help keep the OCD under control... thanks!
wink.gif

I do not have any Zegnas, sorry. I have many Santoni, a few Lobbs (Hermès), a few Ferragamos, a few Churches, Aldens, G&G, Allen Edmonds, Canali, and Kiton (probably a couple I'm missing, but that sounds to be about it).

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kept a few of the sturdier ones and store toques, gloves, and scarves in them in the hall closet.

Originally Posted by fdbaker
Some shoe boxes (especially Bontoni) are just too nice to throw out. I store sweaters in them.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fdbaker

Good idea. I like it. A lot. Solves my empty shoe box problem and my "sweaters on a shelf" problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads