• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Appreciation:  My new Lobbs

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Beautiful and timeless. When you pass them on they will be more attractive than they are now.

It's interesting to see the carved out shoe tree that you mentioned. I wonder what the purpose is.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's interesting to see the carved out shoe tree that you mentioned. I wonder what the purpose is.
It's just to make the tree a bit lighter, no other reason than that. The material in the center of the tree doesn't add anything but weight.

And those are gorgeous trees, by the way. I don't know if they're worth the £366 that they cost, but they're beautiful nonetheless.

Are the shoes really that light in color, or is the camera just playing tricks?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How would you say they compare to your Vass bespokes?

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing that I didn't see on your sole, but that I've seen in Lobbs both old and new, is a brass plate with initials of owner, right in that space between sole and heel. Did they offer that as a matter of form?

Great looking shoes.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(AlanC @ 30 Dec. 2004, 7:29) It's interesting to see the carved out shoe tree that you mentioned. I wonder what the purpose is.
It's just to make the tree a bit lighter, no other reason than that. The material in the center of the tree doesn't add anything but weight. And those are gorgeous trees, by the way. I don't know if they're worth the £366 that they cost, but they're beautiful nonetheless. Are the shoes really that light in color, or is the camera just playing tricks?
The shoes are a tiny bit darker than the pictures show. The flash bulb tends to lighten things up a bit. They are not a very dark brown, however. I would describe them as a dark carmel color. As for how they compare with my Vass bespokes, I must say that my non-expert eye can't really tell the difference in terms of quality. Both the Vass and Lobb shoes are clearly works of art crafted by artisans. I think that the Vass shoes compare well with the Lobbs, which makes the Vass offerings an amazing bargain. As for my initials on the shoes; It wasn't ever brought up. I didn't have any idea that it was even an option.

truthhurts

Reaction score
Beautiful and timeless. When you pass them on they will be more attractive than they are now.
I think he would be hoping upon hope that his children don't have feet shaped that way.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Congratulation to Kai on his purchase of his bespoke Lobb cordovan shoes. From your posting of the pictures the shoes look outstanding. Does anybody have any experience on buying bespoke cordovan shoes from Edward Green? If so, could you please post pictures.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderful, thanks for posting them.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(AlanC @ 30 Dec. 2004, 5:29) Beautiful and timeless. When you pass them on they will be more attractive than they are now.
I think he would be hoping upon hope that his children don't have feet shaped that way.
A little bitter and jealous arent we today. I am really excercising restraint at not making an ad hominem attack here, and I suspect that I am not alone. Truthhurts, you are an ass. (damn, it slipped out)
confused.gif
Its the truth, and you know? It felt pretty good. Beautiful shoes Kai, wear them in good health. JJF

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
congradulations, those are some very fine shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads