• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Antiquing

Fab75

Reaction score
BD338909-4588-46BE-8305-AB93364A9E59.jpeg

C7D85931-B285-43D6-B3E8-1EF89A54A2FC.jpeg

Before and after

stylish_raven

Reaction score

Mbaldinger

Shoe Whisperer
Reaction score
Same here I use no sealer. Dyes, then creams and final wax polish.

Mbaldinger

Shoe Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear what dyes Fab likes to use. I have only used fiebings dyes and both fiebings and angelus deglazer and have found no difference. I will try Angelus and Saphir dyes at some point.

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
I've started following this thread for dyeing inspiration and experiences. I have a number of restoration projects lined up, some will require a dye job. This is a previous Museum brown dye attempt: very subtle indoors, but pops in the sunlight.
20180727_112817 (576x1024).jpg
20180801_133101.jpg

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
looks great man!
What brand of shoe?
They're Septième Largeur, a French brand. I use Saphir dyes and deglazer, a Venetian Creme or Medaille D'ór Neutral creme and finish with a coat of polish. These shoes haven't yet had the full spit shine treatment.

Christian GV.

Reaction score
Mbaldinger, many thanks for the feedback. Also, I do like the patina & finishing you posted on those AEs, I've never liked Fifth Ave's but those changed my mind! :colgate:

What's your process to seal the dye?

Yes. Please. I second the question.

I do like Fab75 and Mbaldinger says- creme and polish!

If I may add something to this discussion though. I'm no pro to talk about techniques, so I'll rather share a guide by Niklas Nordin (link) with helpful notes on sealing and patina in general. In this video (link) by Mastro Segalin they seal the patina by massaging the leather with a pre-heated spoon :colgate:

Also I think RIDER said something about sealing during the first 6 pages in this thread. If I remember correctly it was all about brushing hard between each layer of dye with a cotton cloth/brush, to create temperature and making sure the dye stays.

Mbaldinger

Shoe Whisperer
Reaction score
Mbaldinger, many thanks for the feedback. Also, I do like the patina & finishing you posted on those AEs, I've never liked Fifth Ave's but those changed my mind! :colgate:

I do like Fab75 and Mbaldinger says- creme and polish!

If I may add something to this discussion though. I'm no pro to talk about techniques, so I'll rather share a guide by Niklas Nordin (link) with helpful notes on sealing and patina in general. In this video (link) by Mastro Segalin they seal the patina by massaging the leather with a pre-heated spoon :colgate:

Also I think RIDER said something about sealing during the first 6 pages in this thread. If I remember correctly it was all about brushing hard between each layer of dye with a cotton cloth/brush, to create temperature and making sure the dye stays.
Never done any spooning :) but the rubout with shoe cream between coats is for that...maybe frictional temp helps too but yes I rub with a cloth and brush sometimes too between coats.

Jack_P

Reaction score
Hi all, as you appear to be the masters of shoe renovation and polishing I’d like to ask for help. I’ve been trying to learn the art of the mirror shine with mixed success. Whenever I add any water I’m getting dry looking patches which you can see in the close ups. Basically I’m getting near but I can’t quite the finish right. I look forward to hearing any thoughts or suggestion.

C5DFCDF9-8AB9-4980-AB57-1D42B6A59097.jpeg

DA6B669D-9EAE-4123-9468-4C112793B1FC.jpeg

CD1D8851-19F5-4AF6-9F65-5D3D451F2BCD.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads