1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Antiquing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RIDER, Oct 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. TWU2014

TWU2014 Senior member

This is the exact color, shine, and finish I am looking for in a pair of shoes I trying to restore. Outstanding job.

2. Yellowevo84

Yellowevo84 Senior member

Beat up old pair of nettletons that seen better days.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

3. Yellowevo84

Angela1233 I am confused about your posts. Are you looking to find out if these can be changed color or antiqued?

4. Torzano

Torzano Well-Known Member

I have a pair of $60 Georgio Brutini double monks. The color got a little screwed up because I used a darker brown polish than the shoes color. Would this process cover up these spots? Is it even worth it to do this on inexpensive dress shoes?

5. Yellowevo84

Torzano. It's really not worth doing this on a pair of Georgio brutini shoes. One of my friends gave me a pair to do and the only reason I entertained him was because of our friendship. The leather is quite bad and unfortunately is very hard to get a consistant color on the leather. I would save your money and invest in a higher quality shoe. For what it's worth here is the Georgio brutini shoe I did for my friend.

[​IMG]

6. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Well done Crat ;-) ,,..,love the red bit left on the toe

1 person likes this.
  7. Fosterions

Fosterions Member

[​IMG]

These are some AEs I picked up very cheaply on eBay. There are before pics I have yet to load, but this is after stripping with something called "Dry Cleaner" (no brand on the label) and a few coats of Renovateur and a resoling. I'm thinking these could be a good candidate for a first shot at antiquing. Between the creases and bits of old polish I feel as though they may begin to look antique with a proper polish on top of this, though what colour I'm not sure. It's probably too difficult to tell from this image, but I'm not sure I've done a sufficient job stripping them. Particularly along the brogueing and there are some dark spots along the sole.

I'm hoping for some suggestions on what people here would do with these (other than throw them out :p).

My inspiration right now....
    I was thinking something like this maybe: 1299411 ?
    Or these posted by Rider 99h00o.jpg
    dandy-shoe-care-x-j-fitzpatrick-blog-exclusive-examples01_grande.jpg I really like this, probably my ideal, but I think they may be too advanced for me to aspire to.
    DSCF4273_copia_grande.JPG These are gorgeous but I'm not sure that's the conservative business dress look I'm going for.

8. Yellowevo84

Fosterions, please do not throw out the shoes as there is always something that can be done to revive and make them beautiful again. I will say prep work is the key so if you feel there is old polish still on there you will want to strip,them some more. The pics by dandy shoe care is pretty advanced stuff. He is compounding multiple colors and layers to create those affects. All of which just takes time and practice. Just start with lighter colors first and work your way to the darker tones. Don't start with your desired color first or you won't get the affect your looking for.

9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I like the natural patina on those more than I'd like most "antiqued" finishes.

1 person likes this.
  10. jokb

jokb Senior member

Yellowevo84 is correct. You gotta make sure that you prep it properly before applying dye. Make sure that all traces of previous polishes are gone.
    No harm is doing something like Alexander's but start with light tones and work your way into the darker tones. You also gotta mix your colours with a lightening base or mix different colours to get that effect.

11. Yellowevo84

Time for another.

Before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    2 people like this.
  12. jokb

jokb Senior member

Good job on these! I like the orange, tan, yellow, and brown tones.

13. kenchi

kenchi Member

Hey Crat may you describe the process? I have a two eyelet EG pair that i want do this on.

14. Yellowevo84

Kenchi If this is your first time dying a shoe, I would recommend trying this on a less expensive pair first so you get the hang of it. trying it on a pair of edward greens is gutsy especially if something goes wrong or you don't like it. Don't want to put you off but just giving my 2 cents [​IMG]

15. TWU2014

TWU2014 Senior member

I am gonna ship this pair of nos florsheim imperials to a fellow texans Yellowevo84 to do his magic. Before photos

. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. TWU2014

TWU2014 Senior member

Another pair of nos bostonian saddle shoes that will eventually go through a patina transformation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Yellowevo84

Twu2014 I'm really excited to work on the florsheims, and those saddle shoes are just begging for a patina lol

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. sfo423

sfo423 Senior member

Update; I "gave" the shoes to Chris @ AShine. Pretty much told him my direction (antiqued toe to cover oiled stains) and gave him carte blanche to do as he wishes (keeping it as understated as possible). After foundation was laid, he started to strip it all back.

[​IMG]

Here is the latest before they are ready for conditioning. Unfortunately, someone spilled CORDOVAN stain on the heel. After as good as cleaning as possible, the heel will now be slightly darkened (dirty heel look) so its not too evident. The tongue is lightly colored as well.

C'est la vie. I considered the shoes a loss (and they are seven years old) so not to worried about it.

[​IMG]

19. TWU2014

TWU2014 Senior member

My shoes are still in storage. Still moving into my new place. I will be shipping soon.

20. Yellowevo84

Sfo423 I'm not sure I would call those understated due to the heavy patina on the toes but it's a cool color combo and I'm sure there is no stain now:)