Shoe Antiquing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RIDER, Oct 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ap10046

ap10046 Senior member

No. A hundred bucks!!!
    The man must be a saint or something!

2. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

deglazer is a mellowed out acetone, so it won't damage the leather. depending on the state the leather dyes may be illegal to ship -_- unless you ship to a commercial address. stupid California, although people on ebay don't seem to care.

I'd recommend getting some colored polishes as well. It'll help bring out the lighter tones after you finish dyeing

3. hrb

hrb Senior member

would this process assist with h2o stains? eg. [​IMG]

4. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

I find those kinds of shoes more annoying Hard to say without feeling it or seeing it in person, but it can def be done, but in will be all one shade and matte. But since it's beige you can turn it into pretty much any color you want.

5. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

I guess I would be looking at brown as opposed to black so it wont be so far off from the beige.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

While reeling from jet lag I figure to play around with pair of shoes I recently purchased. They are Bowen but I believe made by Alfred Sargent. The leather is excellent and thought they would hold up well. Before: The shoes looked like they were originally brown and had the owner used black wax polish to streak them in an (I would guess) attempt to antique the pair. [​IMG] [​IMG] After: I went with a darker brown color (close to C&J Weymouth) and left it uneven so that it hopefully develops a nice patina in time. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Good job!

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Coming from you, I feel very flattered! :slayer:

Since I only used a couple of coats and it was an overnight job, I'm pretty happy with how well they turned out. The wholecut definitely made it easy to dye.

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

10. meister

meister Senior member

Yeah they have a bit of the "just finished work in the foundry" look of those O'Keefes that were selling at Mr Porter.

11. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

NOTE: I'M CROSS POSTING THIS FOR ANY OF YOU WHO WANT TO "ANTIQUE" THEIR SUEDE SHOES OR BOOTS

Otter Wax is a great product that's only been around a few years but works very well on suede and doesn't ruin suede like some of the petroleum based waxes do

I used it to 'antique' my cafe racer jacket (below) but it can be used to do desert boots or any other suede boots or shoes you might want to use it on to get a distressed or lived in look. Otter Wax has tutorials on their website

CROSS POST:

Ok, here are some before and after pictures of a tobacco suede cafe racer jacket (J Crew Stockton) that's been slightly waxed using Otter Wax to give it a distressed leather look with no real damage to the fabric (ie. suede tends to get shiny in areas of wear and this can be mimicked with Otter Wax matting down the nappe)

BEFORE[​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the process was simple....just rub the Otter Wax bar over the tytpical areas you would expect to see wear or rubbing of the suede with regular use. One or two wipes was all that was needed. I used a hair dryer to soak in and set the wax after it looked good good to the naked eye. The wax when applied doesn't look anywhere as "shiny" as it does in the pictures (that was due to the reflection)

Here are some pictures of the wax being applied and where it was applied to:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note: the wax is not as shiny as it appears in these photos in real life - it looks just like regular suede wear to the naked eye
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

12. meister

meister Senior member

Anyone think a pair of ivory coloured Bettanins could be antiqued/colour changed? My cobbler seems to think not but what is your view?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

they could be but why would you? They look great as is

14. meister

meister Senior member

Maybe you are right and just keep using creme with lotsa colour like Meltonian renovating cream.