Shoe Antiquing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RIDER, Oct 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

Any skilled gentleman want to take a stab at my Alden medallion captoes that I totally messed up? I will pay you for your services.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just PM Ron, he will do it.

3. BoomDiggs

BoomDiggs Senior member

If you try to do it yourself, I would suggest stripping the color it has COMPLETELY off (using deglazer) before trying to add any new color. If there's ANY of the old color left, you'll get a combo / mixture color in that area.

From what I read in his original question, the combo/mixture is something he plans to use to his advantage. Isshinryu is totally correct that unless you get all of the original color out it will impact your final product. Put if you are trying to go from white to gray, I think that is a good thing.

Good luck

4. asdf

asdf Senior member

From what I read in his original question, the combo/mixture is something he plans to use to his advantage. Isshinryu is totally correct that unless you get all of the original color out it will impact your final product. Put if you are trying to go from white to gray, I think that is a good thing.

Good luck

Cool, thanks everyone. Will take pics when finished.

5. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

I want to see pictures of them on you while you are preforming seiuchin kata.

Nothing like kicking someone while wearing a double-thick sole, my friend! By the way, it's nice to see I'm not the only practitioner with sartorial interests! Take care. [​IMG]

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I was wondering if using Oxyclean instead of bleach would be a useful, but less aggressive way of removing the color from shoes to prep them for antiquing. Any thoughts on this?

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've tried many things and Meltonians Color Preparer and Angelus' Deglazer are both the best.

8. sprockett

sprockett Member

NorCal I Loveeeeeeee the antiquing on the berluti bag. ANy update on the project to recreate the look on the Peal loafers?

I'm about to start a new antiquing project whose goal is to immitate Berluti's light brown antiqued color applied onto these Brooks Brothers (Peal) loafers that are in SF Bandaid now

I'm thinking that Fiebings Lt Tan dye + Tarrago Brown Sugar cream might work along with a darker color for mottling effects but will have to see what works

I'll post pictures before and after when I get to the project this weekend or next

here's the before picture....

[​IMG]

here's the antiqued Berluti color I'm going for....

[​IMG]

to be continued....

9. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

Here is round 2 of my Alden Medallion Cap Toes. I have enough boring colored shoes, that I wanted them to look a little interesting. Not really satisfied with how it came out, so I'm thinking of starting over again (for the 3rd time). Opinions? [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

11. meister

meister Senior member

I've tried many things and Meltonians Color Preparer and Angelus' Deglazer are both the best.

Waproo Preparer (Aussie) is also good but I got some Fiebings Deglazer and that is seriously good stuff.

Here is round 2 of my Alden Medallion Cap Toes. I have enough boring colored shoes, that I wanted them to look a little interesting. Not really satisfied with how it came out, so I'm thinking of starting over again (for the 3rd time). Opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is mottling and the antiquing finish is patchy - all wrong.

It is like you have done a "stippling" technique similar to what happens in the painting and decorating trades.

You will need to deglaze and then start again trying to get a more integral all over colour...trying wiping rather than dabbing IMHO.

12. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

Thanks for the input. The end result is what I had intended, which I realize is different from the approach that others have taken. I really just wanted to see what it would look like. I'm definitely going to deglaze and try something else.

Does anyone have any tips for diluting the dye? The lightest dye that I can find is medium brown, and I find that it darkens the shoe very quickly, even when I wipe the excess off.

13. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

There is mottling and the antiquing finish is patchy - all wrong.

It is like you have done a "stippling" technique similar to what happens in the painting and decorating trades.

I think that is the point; see the chair image further up the thread for example.

Personally, I quite like it.

14. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Great thread. Ron are you still offering your antiquing service?

-LR

15. OakCliff

OakCliff Well-Known Member

I read the thread and dyed some Johnston & Murphy Aristocrats for practice. The shoes are about 8 years old made in the USA J&M's, and they haven't been worn much. They were a light tan before I dyed them. I wasn't patient waiting between coats of dye, but I wanted a very subtle antiquing and I'm happy with the results. I did the whole job in about 2-3 hours, including the deglazer and several coats of dye and polish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]