• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Antiquing

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Resurrecting an old favorite on a wet Sunday afternoon.

I've a question: what's the difference between Fiebings Craft Dyes and Pro Oil Dye? Is the Craft Dye better for this work?

Don't kow what the 'Craft Dye' is, honestly.....Oil dye is for Veg tanned leathers - not finished calf (chrome).

I really don't know if Fiebings is doing new products - I use the same products for a long time and get mine from my jobber.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have the balls, or money to experiment on my shoes like this...

RIDER you truly are an artist. Thank you for the beautiful pictures.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Any more shoe Appreciation to share with the masses, good sir?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hello Ron, are you still doing this service?

i guess my first question is, is it possible to turn a dark color into a totally different color? for example, i have some dark green shoes i might want to get dyed a different color with an antiqued finish. i wonder if that is possible?

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfrider
Any more shoe Appreciation to share with the masses, good sir?

Yeah......just got done this pair:

14uw36w.jpg

30x7a6f.jpg

don't have a before, but they were british tan. Were a real mess when arrived, as they were caked with olive shoe polish, but they were saved! Turned out well.......IMO. Also doing a similiar job on a pair of JL's that should be finished Wednesday.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
hello Ron, are you still doing this service?

i guess my first question is, is it possible to turn a dark color into a totally different color? for example, i have some dark green shoes i might want to get dyed a different color with an antiqued finish. i wonder if that is possible?

hmmmmm....I am, and now that the weather is breaking it's easier for me to work some. I don't take on too much, as I am VERY slow, but getting better now that it is a little warmer. I am a total disaster in the winter.....no heat in my shop except for a space heater, so I don't get much done. You can PM me the details and I'll tell you if I can or not....thanks!

TC11201

Reaction score
Not to add to Ron's workload, but Ron antiqued two pairs of shoes for me about a year ago - a pair of Moreschi Norvegese-style derbies and a pair of Tricker's oxfords. The results were absolutely spectacular. The Moreschis were about to go into the back of the closet, mainly due to the original color, before I sent them to Ron. He worked his magic, was incredibly professional about communicating progress (including pictures as the work progressed - I will try to dig them up and post here) and really helpful about gently guiding me to workable solutions. Those Moreschis are now commented upon virtually everywhere I wear them, including, most recently, by one of the staff at Leffot (and they do know their shoes there). The Tricker's are also amazing, having gone from a tan to a great antiqued burgundy. Ron is truly a master.
worship.gif

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
Not to add to Ron's workload, but Ron antiqued two pairs of shoes for me about a year ago - a pair of Moreschi Norvegese-style derbies and a pair of Tricker's oxfords. The results were absolutely spectacular. The Moreschis were about to go into the back of the closet, mainly due to the original color, before I sent them to Ron. He worked his magic, was incredibly professional about communicating progress (including pictures as the work progressed - I will try to dig them up and post here) and really helpful about gently guiding me to workable solutions. Those Moreschis are now commented upon virtually everywhere I wear them, including, most recently, by one of the staff at Leffot (and they do know their shoes there). The Tricker's are also amazing, having gone from a tan to a great antiqued burgundy. Ron is truly a master.
worship.gif

Do you have any pictures?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
worship.gif

I'll second this general recommendation of Ron. He is really a fantastic guy, extraordinarily generous with his time and efforts. I've bought a number of shoes from him, including an absolutely gorgeous pair of his eponymous chukkas, and each time the customer service experience has been nothing short of phenomenal. Coupled with his generosity to the forum, Ron should probably be sainted by the SF community.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a few of Riders techniques to give these plain tan shoes some character. I'm delight with the results. They were about the same color as the belt underneath the toe. I much prefer this color and they don't show waterspots and scuffs.

shoes-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads