• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe and suit pairing advice sought

mlstein

Reaction score
I'm arguing my first case before the New York Court of Appeals, which is the highest court in our state. I'm wearing a Spier & Mackay medium blue suit, which I'm figuring on pairing with a white shirt and a navy grenadine tie from Chipp. (Should I consider red instead?) My big question is footwear. I've got a lovely pair of burgundy Oxfords from Beckett Simonon. I was planning on wearing those, but I could also wear black Allen Edmonds Byrons, the older quarter brogue model that was replaced by the Park Avenue. I'm attaching images. What are your suggestions?
studio-session-261-1500x1500-1.jpg
Durant_Bordeaux-Front_72cfde2e-7217-41c9-b6ac-370167841808.jpg
byron.jpg

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no justice in the NY Supreme Court. #lawjoke

Black is more formal, but either color would look fine.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Black shoes and would have to see the tie how close are the blues? Blue suit blue shirt blue tie?

Brezzo

Reaction score
Also agree on the blsck for formal events, don't want any distraction from your performance. Good luck.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Sorry somehow I thought you said light blue shirt. White would be good black shoes and belt. The dark navy tie sounds good also

mlstein

Reaction score
Thanks all. No belt, BTW. Braces. And black shoes it will be!

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer but I have paid and worked with many, in New York and elsewhere. Thankfully I have not had to pay one to argue before the Court of Appeals, but the ones I know would certainly break out their most traditional power clothes for such an appointment. Of course the judges themselves could well be wearing sneakers and gym shorts under those robes for all we know.

As you’ve reached this high plateau in your career you are undoubtedly well versed in lawyerly dress codes and probably don’t need much advice from the rest of us on how to dress for court. But as you ask about shoes I would agree with the consensus on black although I wish I could say otherwise. Part of me wants to believe that justice is, if not completely blind, at least blind to oxblood vs black shoes. Part of me also wants to believe the stock market will never fall because ouch.

Last edited:

jaxenro

Reaction score
Being completely color blind I have found black shoes the easiest color to match with as well as the most formal. I have a nice pair of dark brown loafers. How do I know their dark brown? The box said so and my wife told me else I would call them black. I would call both pairs of shoes above black unless someone pointed out one par had red in them but I can't see the red. So black is easier. Point is I wouldn't be surprised if half the court was the same.

I almost always wear black socks with just about everything (almost) for the same reason. I can't tell dark blue from black so I prefer black than mismatches. I have some light gray but I can tell them from black. Beyond that it's useless

mlstein

Reaction score
There is no justice in the NY Supreme Court. #lawjoke

Black is more formal, but either color would look fine.
To be ridiculously literal, there are justices in the New York Supreme Court (which is the lower court) but on the Court of Appeals they're Judges, not Justices. [emoji6]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads