• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Advice

SW20_MR2

Reaction score
i am starting a new job in a few weeks at a bank. Compared to my current workplace, the bank will be more formal, and I expect to wear a combination of suits and dress pants/shirts on a daily basis.

I really need to buy some new shoes. The only go pair of shoes that I have now are a pair of AE semi brogue derby’s in brown. I plan of buying a pair of black oxfords as well - leaning towards trying the Meermins.

For those of you in a similar work environment, what do you wear day to day? I’m assuming that the 2 pairs won’t be enough. What other shoe types/colours would you recommend? Should I buy some “beater” shoes for the days where I’m only wearing dress pants?

Any advice would be appreciated.

kazusano

Reaction score
I worked as a lawyer in the Chicago branch of a Wall Street law firm for four years. I would buy a pair of black, cap toe oxfords. Then, go to work and see what others are wearing (especially what your bosses’ bosses are wearing). Then decide what you want to buy.

As long as you have shoe trees in and rotate your two shoes, two shoes should be fine for a while. Indeed, I rotated two styles of black cap toe oxfords for a year with no problems before buying more pairs of shoes.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear oxfords sometimes even without a jacket, and I wouldn't call them "beater shoes". Banking is a conservative environment so I'd stick with dark colors that will work with the pants in your rotation. AE derbies in brown, Meermin oxford in black, how about a wingtip in burgundy or dark brown? A brown captoe could be a good add as well. I'd see what everyone else is wearing.

hrex

Reaction score
I think oxford pants and polo t-shirts is best combination .
what do you guys think ?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SW20_MR2

Reaction score
I think I’m going to go with this except instead of the burgundy brogue, I’ll go with brown. I’m not a fan of the burgundy coloured shoes.

U require the following shoes according to me:

1. A black cap toe Oxford
2. A dark brown / chocolate Oxford
3. A burgundy Oxford wingtip or burgundy quarter brogue Oxford

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here r a few suggestions with pics and links. u can go for other companies if u want.

1. Go for a Black Cap Toe Oxford. Gonna be ur workhorse. It is as formal as u can get. Can go with most of ur suits except brown. But will go under black, Navy and grey suits.
https://www.crockettandjones.com/collections/mens/oxfords/audley-black-calf/
audley-9447-12-1.jpg
audley-9447-12-2.jpg
audley-9447-12-3.jpg

or https://www.carminashoemaker.com/mens-oxford-shoes/black-oxford-shoes-80386

black_oxford_shoes_80386_l.jpg
black_oxford_shoes_80386_ladl.jpg
black_oxford_shoes_80386_sadl.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads