• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe Advice

aj2603

Reaction score
This is a great suggestion. You don't necessarily needed a wingtip, but burgundy is such a great color.
everyone is different. its ur personal choice.
i would suggest 3 shoes with shoe trees.

u can rotate those and get the best out of them

Demar Ayee

Reaction score
everyone is different. its ur personal choice.
i would suggest 3 shoes with shoe trees.

u can rotate those and get the best out of them
Agreed. I like blue shoes and green boots. Some people might not wear them. Like you said, it's [a] personal choice.

Alpha11

Reaction score
For business footwear in a bank I would go for "close lacing system" as in an Oxford rather than a open like a Bucher.

As far as brand I do like C&J if your budget can accommodate their price point. If you are in the US I would go with Allen Edmond's as you have more opportunities to try them on. They have more stores in the US to stop into and try out their different last.

You could go with Alden as well as to me they are a little bit better but harder to find. Additionally, if you are not in a city that has C&J Brooks Brothers Peal & Co are made by them and can be had for less money if you catch them on sale.

Last edited:

SW20_MR2

Reaction score
It’s been a few months since I started my job, but one thing that I’ve noticed is that things are definitely less formal than I expected. People are in jeans on non-Fridays. Hence I’ve been mixing it up with a rotation of suits, dress pants/shirts, and jeans with dress shirts/polos.

Before I started, I ended up getting a pair of black oxfords, walnut derby, and “AE dark chili”-like half brogue Oxford. In retrospect, I could’ve probably skipped the black shoes as I find I typically only wear them when I’m wearing a charcoal suit.

Anyways, I’m looking to add some more shoes to the rotation now that I’m more settled. I’m thinking of adding a double monk shoe and a wingtip derby boot. I think the monks would be good with both suits and jeans, and the boots would be for my casual jeans days. As for colours, I’m thinking of doing one in dark brown and the other in dark burgundy - that pic posted of the Carmina colour looked really nice.

A few pieces of further advice would be appreciated:

- Would the monk and boots be a good option for my usage?
- Assuming my colour choices are good (already advised earlier in the thread), which colour would you recommend with which pair?

Thanks again!

Ben W

Reaction score
Good, bad, or indifferent... seems like everywhere is going more and more casual.

I like double monks and I think they'd be a good fit. Some wingtip derby boots or chelsea boots would be good too for some variety. I'd probably do the double monks in dark burgundy and the boots in dark brown.

rishabhb398

Reaction score
Hey, as kazusano said that start working with normal formal shoes and then notice what everyone else is wearing. That is really a good idea.
I would suggest you to buy one pair of oxfords, and one of brogues. Most common colors are black and brown but I also do like the grey color.
So go with Oxfords the first day and then decide what else you should buy :)

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.