Shoe advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lint Brush, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

I've had my eye on a nice pair of black split toe lace-ups made by Crockett & Jones for Brooks Brothers (the Algonquin model, I think it is). After they went on sale I tried them on and found even the "e" width painfully narrow (I usually take a normal D).

I find the Alden model not particularly graceful (the top stitching is too pronounced compared to the Crockett), albeit well made. Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar model? Thanks in advance.

2. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

3. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

Thanks--the Hancock looks a little nicer (i.e. dressier). Next time I'm near Grand Central I'll pop into Allen Edmonds and have a look.

4. Alias

Alias Senior member

I own a pair of Bradleys in E width, and they fit my fat Japanese feet just fine.

5. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I'm wearing pair of Hancocks in D width and they fit my slim Japanese feet relatively well... (I can get away with D fitting in the 202 EG last with some breaking in...). Watch out though, the area underneath the ankle cuts a bit high and might rub if you have a low arch. I had a small blister the first day I wore my shoes...its since subsided and the Hancocks are my everyday kicker brown dress shoes (oxymoron?).

norcal

6. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

Thanks for the heads up, Norcal. I do have flat feet, and the prospect of having the sides cut into my ankle doesn't thrill me. I'll try them on to be sure--alternately, To Boot at Bergdorfs may also have a split toe variant.

I ducked into Oxxford to see the discounted Edward Green's, but all that was left in my size was a cap toe oxford, which I can't rationalize.