• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe advice

Jeff L.

Reaction score
I need some advice on new shoes. I am a school teacher, and I'm looking for some business causual shoes for work. I typically wear pleated wool pants, as well as chinos. This year, I'm trying to overhaul my shoe collection, with something that I can wear with chinos, wool pants, as well as sports coats,shirt and ties.

What styles, colors,and brands would you suggest?
Thanks in advance.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I recommend dark brown monkstraps. Those go with just about anything.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
A pair of dark brown lace-ups would work. Open lacing will look a little more casual.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I recommend dark brown monkstraps. Those go with just about anything.
Not a bad rec. If you are looking for inexpensive, solid, serviceable and good looking shoes, look at the Loake selection from Charles Tyrwhitt:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/product.as...ProCode=MBTCHY

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/product.as...ProCode=MSHBBR

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/product.as...ProCode=MPSBRB

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/product.as...ProCode=MDSSMK

Their US sizing runs big, so size .5 down if you're unsure. Start with one pair of suede and the calf brogues, and you'll be covered for most things. Pick up a black pair if you want something for more formal occasions.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chukka boots would be a good versatile choice in the role you describe. I can recall one of the masters at my prep school was a big fan of chukka boots and wore them alot.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jeff L.
I need some advice on new shoes. I am a school teacher, and I'm looking for some business causual shoes for work. I typically wear pleated wool pants, as well as chinos. This year, I'm trying to overhaul my shoe collection, with something that I can wear with chinos, wool pants, as well as sports coats,shirt and ties.

Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of options, but I probably would start with either plaintoe, moc-toe, or split-toe bluchers, since they are very basic.

From Allen Edmonds, a plaintoe blucher would be the Leeds, Harrison or Joplin.

A moc-toe would be like the Burton.

A split-toe would be the Bradley or Delray. Or the Ashton, Denton, or Kennett if you want a rubber sole.

AE has a lot of moc-toes and split-toes. A lot of brands have these styles, so you don't have to go to AE.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you are wearing a suit, a pair of burgundy penny loafers would also be a good choice to give you some variety from the lace ups and/or monk straps. To continue the Allen Edmonds theme, take a look at the Cameron.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what your budget is, but take a look at virtualclotheshorse.com. Lance, the owner, is a member here, and he often has some great shoes.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If you are looking for inexpensive, solid, serviceable and good looking shoes, look at the Loake selection from Charles Tyrwhitt

If you go to the site through this link, you get 50% off as a new customer:

www.ctshirts.com/spots

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jeff L.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff:

You may have already thought of this issue, and come to your own conclusions.

I know many school teachers who prefer rubber soled shoes. Slick tile hallways and gymnasium floors are often difficult to navigate in leather soles.

Bic

(I am NOT the shooman.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads