Shoe Advice - Urgent

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by biast, Dec 29, 2011.

1. biast

biast Member

Hi guys,

I have an event that I'm going to NYE night and being the noob to fashion that I am I went out and bought some Suits from MW not thinking about my Shoe situation. I have since found this forum and started educating myself. I do have dress shoes but they do not look good with my new Suits at all. I am looking for something stylish that I can wear in my rotation at work and under $250. I would need to pick them up tomorrow. I live in Las Vegas so I have access to a lot of different outlets. Any advice?

Thanks.

2. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

Really depends on a lot, but you can't go wrong with a black cap toe oxford. Allen Edmonds Park Avenue factory second is something like 259?

3. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I wasn't going to post here, but I saw the word "urgent" in the thread title.

What color are your suits?

4. biast

biast Member

My suit colors are mostly dark grays (charcoal, pin stripe), light gray, and brown. It's urgent because I'm a noob and have no idea what I'm doing. I have a work event I'm attending and have a Suit but no shoes. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  5. tsacain

tsacain Well-Known Member

If it is casual.. penny loafers....Otherwise see that you can get for the money.

6. mandom

mandom Active Member

+1

7. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

How old are you and what do you do as a profession? I'm not a huge fan of most penny loafers on younger guys.

8. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

If the event is a business event about business then wear a cap toe, otherwise wear something a little more fitting to the occasion. A loafer if it's casual, a wingtip or wholecut if it's a mix of business and casual.

Since it is an evening event, be sure to wear black or dark brown shoes (depending on the suit). In any case, no one is going to pay a lot of attention to your shoes at an evening event as long as they are dark, in good contition, and go with the suit you are wearing.

9. biast

biast Member

I am in my late 20's. I am a C-level Executive (CIO). This particular event is for a holiday party although I will be wearing these shoes and another pair in a rotation to work. We are all dressing up for NYE (somewhat black tie).

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

FTFY
    +1 Buy these ^.

Advanced SF Polishing tip: When polishing the toe caps, apply sparingly, some Meltonian (or equiv) Marine (or dark) Blue creme with your finger. Let dry 30min. Brush, then buff with soft cotton cloth. Then apply with finger, very thinly to the caps some KIWI NAUTRAL or Med Brown.
    Let dry an hour. Brush, then buff. Behold a brilliant shine with just a hint of blue. The way it will reflect light is spectacular.
    You can also apply this method to the laces area (remove laces first).
    For the rest of the shoe, use only leather conditioner (unless some black is needed for touch ups).
    The contrast between the high polished caps vs. the rest of the shoes will be noticibly eye-catching.

As a reference,here is an example of my results on a pair of AE's I did in brown

[​IMG]
    :teach: Welcome to Styleforum

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  11. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

In this case I would wear black wholecuts with your dark gray suit.

12. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I'm not looking to give you a hard time, honest, but I've never heard of a "somewhat black tie" dress standard before. Could you explain how it differs from, say, black tie optional, or semi-formal?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  13. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Don't wear loafers with a suit. Get black cap toes and build things from there. A black wholecut is also acceptable, but not quite as versatile. Don't overthink this, just do it.

14. atlrus

atlrus Well-Known Member

Allen Edmonds Courtland are on sale for 199 (at least on their website) and while they are derby, they are just fine for a NYParty, and you'll be getting firsts instead of seconds :)