• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Advice: Is this considered square or chisel toe?

Vogizzle

Reaction score
Well, I'm looking around for a decent pair of new black dress shoes. I'm on a $200 budget thanks to Christmas and have found these locally for $150-$175.

The shoe is called Bostonian Novato and yes I know they aren't high end or anything but they should be good for the money.

Anyways, are these square or chisel toe?

Also any opinions would be appreciated regarding the general style of shoe or other shoes that may interest me.

9755-647464-p.jpg

9755-647464-1.jpg

aavlee

Reaction score
I wouldn't clall those squared. If you follow the lines leading up the toe on each side of the shoe they'll eventually cross... If that makes any sense at all.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too square for me. But these things lie on a continuum.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be foolish to waste $150-$200 on garbage when you can find alot better shoes discounted for the same.

Vogizzle

Reaction score
I mean they wouldn't be a huge mistake though right?

I'm still learning the "general guidelines" of business wear so take it easy on me.

Plus, I live in Canada so even the slightest bit of style stands out lol.

Vogizzle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
It would be foolish to waste $150-$200 on garbage when you can find alot better shoes discounted for the same.

Are we talking about the quality? Are they really that bad?

My issue is that where I live, there is no way I can find better shoes locally, especially at a discounted price.

PolePosition

Reaction score
They are chisel toe. But like the other replies said, they are a bit on the square side. A more aesthetically pleasing chisel toe will be more pointed, ie, less square, than the picture you posted.

Here is an example of more chiseled and less square compared to the shoes pictured above:

b543chtoe400.gif

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vogizzle
Are we talking about the quality? Are they really that bad?

My issue is that where I live, there is no way I can find better shoes locally, especially at a discounted price.

If your budget is only $150 your much better off getting a pair of Allen Edmonds through ebay.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Here's the Allen-Edmonds version of that similar style (Soho is the name of the shoe)
1600.jpg

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vogizzle
Damn those are nice!

They are - and if you look around on eBay or on here, you can easily find them within your price range, brand new. The retail is a little over $300, but Allen-Edmonds often sell for far less than retail.

yo!

Reaction score
Lesson one for those new to SF, unless you pay 50% or less of MSRP it is not worth it.

This will guide you when you are still shopping at mall and department stores. There are very few (actually none) items available at retail which have a high enough value to be worth purchasing full price or even at a mere sale of 30% off.

Bostonian shoes are worth $50 or less.

While 95% of people on this forum will laugh at you uncontrollable for considering a shoe like Bostonian and immediately recommend that you purchase shoes for $300, I understand that you do not know enough to fully understand their logic.

The short story is that you can find high quality shoes like the $300 ones that they will recommend for around $100 if you know where to look.

Your best bet is to continue reading off this forum for another 6 months. And until then do not purchase anything that is not 60% off or more, because as good of a deal as you think that it is right now, if you keep learning from this forum in 3 months you will realize that you just wasted your money.

2Scoops

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
Here's the Allen-Edmonds version of that similar style (Soho is the name of the shoe)

1600.jpg

i've got this cognac. great shoe. they'll pop up on ebay or on sale on amazon every once in a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads