• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe advice for wedding

Fgustaf

Reaction score
My fiance is looking for some great shoes to wear with his blue suit for our wedding. Advice/recommendations? I'd take bow tie advice, too!
*This suit still needs a bit of tailoring.

Attachments

• PXL_20210322_205400924~2.jpg
    PXL_20210322_205400924~2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 320

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black oxfords are the safest choice. Otherwise, dark brown.

If you have a budget in mind perhaps we could offer suggestions.

Fgustaf

Reaction score
Black oxfords are the safest choice. Otherwise, dark brown.

If you have a budget in mind perhaps we could offer suggestions.
I would say anything $300 or less. We were considering brown... do you think black is better though?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say anything $300 or less. We were considering brown... do you think black is better though?

not necessarily. Black is the safe choice but dark brown is acceptable. Which would be get more use out of, post nuptials?

at that price range, check Herring shoes:

papado

Reaction score
I wouldn't do brown shoes and black bow-tie. If you're doing a regular bow tie then sure you can do black or brown--brown being more versatile should he want to use the shoes after the wedding.

I'd take a look at JFItzpatrick shoes--he has a line [JF line] which is 295 which has the basics you'd probably look for: https://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/collections/jf-line-oxfords.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lose the black bow tie. It is wholly inconsistent with that suit. A tie would be a better option.

Fgustaf

Reaction score
Lose the black bow tie. It is wholly inconsistent with that suit. A tie would be a better option.
Oh yes, for sure! This is just the only bow tie he owns, so we used it as a placeholder. We are definitely going to get a new one.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what @Phileas Fogg means is to avoid any black bow tie, not just the one in the photo. A normal tie would be a better choice. Dark brown captoe oxfords would be fine as others have stated -- avoid light brown or tan shoes.

Fgustaf

Reaction score
I think what @Phileas Fogg means is to avoid any black bow tie, not just the one in the photo. A normal tie would be a better choice. Dark brown captoe oxfords would be fine as others have stated -- avoid light brown or tan shoes.
Gotcha! Is a bow tie just the wrong style for this suit? Any tie recs?

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha! Is a bow tie just the wrong style for this suit? Any tie recs?

Glen Plaid is a good wedding tie:

Navy grenadine is a good option:

dench127

Reaction score
https://meermin.com/collections/mens-oxfords

I'd take a look at Meermin. Most of the oxfords are $195. I recommended them to a friend for his wedding. I think a mid to light brown oxford would go nicely with that shade of blue. Meermin has better looking shoes than most others in this price range.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://meermin.com/collections/mens-oxfords

I'd take a look at Meermin. Most of the oxfords are $195. I recommended them to a friend for his wedding. I think a mid to light brown oxford would go nicely with that shade of blue. Meermin has better looking shoes than most others in this price range.
Please no, do not go with light brown or even mid brown for your wedding. Honestly I think black is the best classic choice but I could live with dark brown. Meermin is good value but many people find them uncomfortable to break in. What is your shoe budget?

Fgustaf

Reaction score
Please no, do not go with light brown or even mid brown for your wedding. Honestly I think black is the best classic choice but I could live with dark brown. Meermin is good value but many people find them uncomfortable to break in. What is your shoe budget?
Budget is around $200.

dench127

Reaction score
I’m sorry I think I have to disagree :/

To me black is only for funerals, and looks especially weird with that shade of blue. I think browns are quite acceptable for weddings.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry I think I have to disagree :/

To me black is only for funerals, and looks especially weird with that shade of blue. I think browns are quite acceptable for weddings.
Didn’t say brown wasn’t acceptable; just not light brown or even mid-brown. With a dark suit, they draw attention to the feet and for what purpose?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads