1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe advice for wedding

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by techdude, May 4, 2011.

1. techdude

techdude Member

I'm getting married in June and am looking for some shoes. So far, I have tried on lots of shoes, and they are not comfortable. Someone just suggested I check out Cole Haans because they are designed for comfort. I am looking for something that might be slightly vintage looking.

Has anyone tried these before? Any thoughts on the quality of Cole Haans? These are the ones I am looking at:

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-air-...rd-black-nappa

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-air-...-wingtip-black

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-air-...ord-black-calf

Thanks.

2. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

Black captoe is appropriate for a formal wedding. Wingtip is not appropriate, unless it is a casual event.

I can't comment on the comfort of Cole Haan, but you could try Rockport if you really feel comfort is an issue. Generally dress shoes are not going to be as comfortable as sneakers, maybe your expectations are too high.

3. Wolfador

Wolfador Senior member

Checkout Ecco if you want some comfortable shoes, I have a few pairs and by far they are the most comfortable I have worn.

4. techdude

techdude Member

Not expecting sneaker level comfort, though some of the shoes I have tried feel like there is hard material from inside the shoe sticking into my foot as I walk.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

no on the cole haan. If you want cheap: [​IMG] http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/_shop/....jpg?undefined http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/_shop/....jpg?undefined http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/_shop/....jpg?undefined http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...lectedFitID=0# Loake design. It ain't anything amazing, but its goodyear welted, and far better than the cole haans. Before anyone flips a shit, yes I know its corrected grain and a chiseled toe, but for $170, its about as good as its going to get for a wedding, imho.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

You definitely won't find much love for Cole Haan around here--cheap corrected grain (read: crappy) leather with rubber soles. If you had to pick one of the ones listed, pick the first--a classic captoe oxford in black like that is exactly what you want.

For a good entry-level shoe, take a look at the Allen-Edmonds Park Avenue. You can get them cheaper than list either in the B&S forum here, on eBay, or through one of the Allen Edmonds shoe banks (seconds, though you almost always can't tell the difference).

Good luck, and congratulations!

Edit: The Loake listed above is also an option, but for not much more, you can get Allen Edmonds seconds which are full-grain leather and will last your forever.

7. johnright13

johnright13 New Member

There are many types of shoes available in market. But in wedding you have to wear one of best shoe which is suit your personality and also your clothes. I think Red Chief shoes are best for wedding. It is best shoes available in market. It has also reasonable price and comfort to wear. It comes in many styles and colors. so you will like it. It is branded company so your shoes life will be long. so you have not worry for shoes.

8. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

+1 for the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue.

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

You definitely won't find much love for Cole Haan around here--cheap corrected grain (read: crappy) leather with rubber soles. If you had to pick one of the ones listed, pick the first--a classic captoe oxford in black like that is exactly what you want.

For a good entry-level shoe, take a look at the Allen-Edmonds Park Avenue. You can get them cheaper than list either in the B&S forum here, on eBay, or through one of the Allen Edmonds shoe banks (seconds, though you almost always can't tell the difference).

Good luck, and congratulations!

Edit: The Loake listed above is also an option, but for not much more, you can get Allen Edmonds seconds which are full-grain leather and will last your forever.

While I really like the park avenue, I find it a bit bulbous and bulky especially if one is wearing a trim fit tuxedo.

I think the loake above is a bit sleeker and has a high shine that I tend to prefer for such an event.

10. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Black captoe is appropriate for a formal wedding. Wingtip is not appropriate, unless it is a casual event.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Checkout Ecco if you want some comfortable shoes, I have a few pairs and by far they are the most comfortable I have worn.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why is it that when somebody asks a question on here all of these n00bz come out of the woodwork with the worst advice ever?

12. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Why is it that when somebody asks a question on here all of these n00bz come out of the woodwork with the worst advice ever?

Because those who know better are tired of answering the same questions repeatedly? [​IMG]

13. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

Not expecting sneaker level comfort, though some of the shoes I have tried feel like there is hard material from inside the shoe sticking into my foot as I walk.

Leather starts out stiff and hard, and some shoes may cause pain initially. After some wearings, it will soften and stretch to accommodate the particular shape of your feet, assuming it is good leather and fits your foot well enough. This is known as "breaking in" new shoes.

14. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

15. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

Fail.

16. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

Fail.

So he has more comfortable shoes and he's not telling up? Do you stalk him while he's shoe shopping to verify this? [​IMG]

How about raking up 500-1000 posts before you start with the not helpful one word posts, especially about someones objective opinion. Maybe you could say why you didn't like ecco shoes, and not just regurgitate what you have read on here. Surly you have been shopping and tried on some ecco shoes and found problems, or have owned some previously in order to have this opinion.

17. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

Buy good shoes and this will be a non issue.

Unless you buy bespoke shoes, you likely won't find a shoe that fits your foot perfectly, since the last wasn't made with your particular foot in mind. That imperfect fit is where the breaking in occurs.

18. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

So he has more comfortable shoes and he's not telling up? Do you stalk him while he's shoe shopping to verify this? [​IMG]

How about raking up 500-1000 posts before you start with the not helpful one word posts, especially about someones objective opinion. Maybe you could say why you didn't like ecco shoes, and not just regurgitate what you have read on here. Surly you have been shopping and tried on some ecco shoes and found problems, or have owned some previously in order to have this opinion.

Have you seen Ecco shoes? I wouldn't dare wear a pair, on principle. And what makes you think that they would be remotely appropriate for a wedding?

19. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Ecco Mens Dress Shoes You could do a lot worse. Trust me, some of the weddings I've been to a LOT worse is done. One BIG problem is that he doesn't mention anywhere in this thread that he's planning on wearing a white dinner jacket/bow tie/tux pants to the wedding. That I think changes the whole shoe thing quite a bit.

20. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

I got married about 7 months ago, and I actually found SF because of my search for a pair of "nice" shoes for the wedding. Before I found this site and started lurking I knew nothing about nothing when it came to clothes and shoes. So I understand where you're coming from. Now I know slightly more than nothing, but only just. Hang out here for a while and you'll learn all the things you need to know about dressing oneself but never thought to ask.

As for your particular question, it all depends on budget. Allen Edmonds Park Ave is the SF-standard entry-level black dress shoe, and for good reason as far as I can tell (I have never owned a pair). If they don't fit your budget, as suggested above look for a lightly used secondhand pair - the step-up in quality and classiness over most cheaper alternatives is well worth it. If your budget is a bit more accommodating ($300 and up) then there are a wide range of quality options, but if you aren't sure what you like, better to stick with the safe choice (AE Park Ave), IMHO.