Shoe advice for a beginner

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blackadder, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Mister Sloth

Mister Sloth Member

You should definitely buy a pair of Vass but maybe not three unless you feel very comfortable with different lasts.

I'll give you my 2 cents: I don't really like round lasts (I mean really old school round not like EG 202). However, this is something I've developed with time. Although Vass has expanded their lines, I feel that they mainly make old school Austro-Hungarian shoes which you might like, but I doubt it since you moved to slim jeans. My point is that you may actually find only one pair that is sleek and casual as you're looking for.

For casual shoes, I really like full brogue oxford (think C&J Clifford). In the US, some people would say that oxfords are only for suits, but that again is old school thinking. If you go to Paris, you'll see people in shirts with French cuffs and no jacket. It's more about showing your style. In the US, if you'd do that, people would think you're trying to show off. This should also be influenced by your environment.

It's probably true that Vass prices will increase in the future, like Carmina or Scafora. So get them but in moderation.

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

Wear good clothes and enjoy quality shoes, Blackadder, but don't forget to have plenty of fun too!

3. Patek14

Patek14 Senior member

I can't believe all the advice here, telling a young man to drop 2,000 euros or more on world-class luxury shoes. What is the rest of your wardrobe like? What do you wear for suits, shirts, pants, etc?

4. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Who said anything about €2k? Most people have been talking about 2-3 pairs of Vass, which is just over a grand. Coupled with 1) the need for SOMETHING in a rotation, 2) the OP's own analysis (which is spot-on) of Vass as a best-value provider, 3) the fact that he presumably enjoys the aesthetics, and 4) he presumably has the cash....and what is a better recommendation?

5. Patek14

Patek14 Senior member

3 pairs of Vass for a tad more than a grand?!!!!! Wow, I'm retarded, I've spend MORE than $350 on crappy Allen Edmonds LOL

Can you please send me a link to where I can buy these without flying to Hungary, as I'll happily pick up a few pairs. Dang, even I can afford that. That's like getting Edward Greens for the price of Allen Edmonds!!

:slayer:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Say what now? I own several pairs of Vass, and none could fairly be described as old-school Austro-Hungarian in style.

Vass mainly makes what their customers ask them to make. And of the customer likes sleek, there are a number of lasts to choose from. He can go to the store and sort out his size in various lasts then just order the pair(s) he wants if he can't find it on the shelf.

7. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

They're 3-hundred something EUR (the currency that you specified in the post that I responded to), which makes three pairs €11-1200.

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

To be fair, Patek, I fair number of people have advised Blackadder not to go straight to high end shoes.

9. Mills

Mills Member

I think you are making great choices

10. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Definitely starting way ahead of the majority and his peers. As long as money is not a constraint, it IS a great range of shoes to get started and with care, will last the next ten years. A Vass (or several) will be good choices. Well done!

11. blackadder

blackadder Well-Known Member

They certainly make those, but I'm not planning to get the Budapest range. They make a seemingly wide variety of Italian and English-style shoes.

I know I probably come across as cold and hyperrational but that's only because money is at stake. I think buying great clothes is fun! That's why I want to make sure I'm making the decision for the right reasons.

Flying to Hungary was my plan (for other reasons). In fact I could even take a train to Hungary, for about 100 EUR return. I appreciate the situation is a lot different for the US market.

That's a good question, but I've got to start somewhere!

12. Munky

Munky Senior member

Budapest is a truly beautiful city. I hope you enjoy it as much as you enjoy buying shoes there!.

13. blackadder

blackadder Well-Known Member

I'm going for a scientific conference, which I hope will be good too. If the city is anything like Vienna there will be plenty to do and see also.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

14. Patek14

Patek14 Senior member

Blackladder,

While everybody has "got to start somewhere", please consider this. Wearing world class shoes with low-end bargain basement clothes will be out of place. It is going to be a complete mismatch and you really should consider balancing. While random people off the street in America don't know the different between a $40 dress shirt and a $350 dress shirt, won't notice hand-picking on a coat or working buttonholes, or high end wool slacks vs. poly crap, those people also won't notice a difference between a pair of Vass or EG versus rubber soled trash

Those who will notice what your shoes actually are will notice the rest of your attire

15. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I like your first two choices not so much the boots.

You may also consider this chukka boots in suede or grain leather perhaps with a dainlite sole.

Vass will last you a very long time if you look after your shoes regularly with conditioning and polishing. Also important to alternate your shoes with each wear.

[​IMG]