• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts with jeans

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious what the sentiment of the board is on tucking shirts into jeans. I've been going with the untucked look, but it's starting to wear thin on me a bit. Going forward, I may save the untucking for short sleeve shirts.

Your thoughts?

Montecristo

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a tucker. I'm probably hopelessly uncool in this, but I think I look better with my shirt tucked in. Untucked, shirts tend to hang in an overly baggy and unflattering manner. What's the point of being in shape, if your baggy shirt makes you look like you've got a huge gut?

However, I do have a few short sleeved shirts finished with shorter square tails which are designed to be worn untucked. I don't tuck these in.

BjornH

Reaction score
Yup - I don't tuck short sleeved ones with short tails. Dress shirts I have to tuck or else the long tails look plain silly. It's one of those 'sacrifices' you make when you buy well made shirts.

I used to be an avid tucker and even sweaters got the treatment, mainly because I was buying them too large and they hung way too low. I'm better now...

B

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all depends .. if you have nice rear end .. do not hide it by letting the shirt out. But in some cases .. u still want to let the top out.. casual shirts .. clubbling shirts tucked in looks silly in my opinion. Dress shirts .. yeah I would tuck in unless it does not have long tail ..

but usually with jeans .. i do not tunck things in..

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Basically, in my opinion, if you are wearing a shirt that should be tucked in, you shouldn't be wearing jeans. I don't think a pair of jeans can fit in a way that a big dress shirt can be tucked in and still look good. I wear fitted dress shirts with jeans all the time, but they are untucked and when I start getting shirts made they will be made fitted and with relatively short tails so they will work with jeans or anything else. It's very rare in my opinion that someone can tuck in a huge Brooks Brothers shirt into a pair of jeans without looking like either he's wearing the totally wrong size of jeans or Depends underneath them. Jeans are supposed to be pretty fitted and in about 98% of situations where people tuck things into them they look bad. Just my opinion.

The only exception I'd probably make is when wearing jeans with a blazer or short jacket, when having the tail hang out would look dumb, and in that case the jacket should stay on.

artdeco73

Reaction score
With all due respect, gentlemen, you are lucky even to be able to discuss this topic.  For those of us who do not fit neatly into the Small/Medium/Large sizing system of virtually all casual clothes made today, leaving a shirt untucked in most cases is not even an option as it comes half way down our thighs and makes us look like we're wearing a nightgown.  If, on the other hand, the length is correct, it looks like a sausage casing around our upper bodies.  Aside from a couple of polo shirts with the correct proportions that I am lucky enough to have come across, I have to tuck in shirts even when I would rather leave them untucked.  This probably means that I will never look hip, but better uptight than downright goofy, no?

For those who may be curious: I am 5'8", 39" chest, 32" waist, 31" inseam.

BjornH

Reaction score
J, you are assuming that a dress shirt is a billowing affair. I've worn RTW shirts with jeans and and gotten unfavorable remarks from my wife. If it fits you, it's an other story. My Jantzen form fit shirts look great tucked with jeans.

artdeco: I'm frightfully close to your measurements 175, 38 chest, 31,31 - am I missing something ? Maybe you are trying to wear dress shirts untucked ?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The beauty of the Jantzen shirt is that you can design it to be as long/short and tight/loose as you like, regardless of your body type. This leads to interesting tucking dilemmas. Right now, I think I am evolving towards a model where I have two different Jantzen configurations:

1) Primarily for dress. This is a well fitted shirt that is relatively longer and fits slimly through the hip. Generally intended to be worn tucked. If I untuck it, it is actually too tight through the hip to wear on top of jeans, unless I leave the bottom button open.

2) Dress casual. This shirt is fitted enough in the upper body to work as a dress/business shirt, but falls a bit looser through the torso and hips, so it can be worn over jeans without being too tight. It is also cut shorter than the dress shirt.

If I were to do a Jantzen short sleeve, I'd use the measurement for shirt #2 as a baseline, and shorten even more.

Montecristo

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just don't particularly care for dress shirts tucked into jeans. Jeans IMO are not really the type of pants that stuff should be tucked into, unless it's something similar in origin, e.g. a plain white t-shirt. I know they've evolved beyond work clothes to become much more formal in fabrics, cuts, etc. but I always think of them as something to wear when you work on your car. It's just my personal preference.

Artdeco: it sounds like you could benefit from some custom shirts as well. (Bjorn, I think he was saying that if shirts are short enough to wear untucked, they are also tight, and if they are loose enough to wear, they are also long.) I'd definitely suggest you try custom or at least get some shirts altered to fit your proportions better. There are also other options in RTW, for example Polo (brand) "dress" shirts are monstrous on me even when they are "my size", while other shirts would undoubtedly be cut too slim for many (I'm skinny so I don't really have that problem. I have other problems instead).

Anyway, everyone looks better wearing clothes properly sized to fit all his proportions.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Maybe I look like a slob, but I never tuck my shirt in if I'm wearing jeans. It just doesn't look right to have a shirt tucked into jeans to me.

Trousers are different, of course.

artdeco73

Reaction score
Artdeco: it sounds like you could benefit from some custom shirts as well. (Bjorn, I think he was saying that if shirts are short enough to wear untucked, they are also tight, and if they are loose enough to wear, they are also long.)

Thank you, j.  That is exactly what I was trying to say.  And I am not talking about dress shirts in the conventional sense, i.e. with exact neck and sleeve measurements.  I don't like the way those look with jeans regardless of fit -- they look mismatched IMHO.  I am talking about casual, or "sport" shirts (not sure of terminology outside the US) usually (although not always) in softer, heaveir fabrics that come in averaged sizes of Small, Medium, Large, Extra-Large, etc.  Perhaps I should be looking at different manufacureres/brands?  Most of my casual clothing comes from Eddie Bauer, Gap, occasionally Banana Republic.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I understand. There are probably far less options for custom size casual wear than for dress shirts. If you post your question about finding sport shirts in different "shapes" as a new post you will likely get more responses than in here.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montechristo, I was thinking about doing the same thing. Where is the real key? Loosening the waist measurement, or loosening the hip measurement, or both? I'm 5'10", and I figure that a 27" length might be right. What's your experience?

If you could give me the change in measurements you use, that would be helpful. I don't want the casual shirt to be tight around the hips especially, but I don't want to change the measurements to much that it is a billowing tent. I'm looking for a casual shirt, not a clubbing shirt, BTW.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(j @ 09 June 2004, 12:28) Artdeco: it sounds like you could benefit from some custom shirts as well. (Bjorn, I think he was saying that if shirts are short enough to wear untucked, they are also tight, and if they are loose enough to wear, they are also long.)
Thank you, j. Â That is exactly what I was trying to say. Â And I am not talking about dress shirts in the conventional sense, i.e. with exact neck and sleeve measurements. Â I don't like the way those look with jeans regardless of fit -- they look mismatched IMHO. Â I am talking about casual, or "sport" shirts (not sure of terminology outside the US) usually (although not always) in softer, heaveir fabrics that come in averaged sizes of Small, Medium, Large, Extra-Large, etc. Â Perhaps I should be looking at different manufacureres/brands? Â Most of my casual clothing comes from Eddie Bauer, Gap, occasionally Banana Republic.
See, this I am not quite understanding, that they are seen as mismatched. Personally, I love to wear dress shirts with jeans, and "accessorize" more or less, with sweatshirts, colored shirts underneath, or loose ties. It could be related to my age, but I think nice quality dark wash jeans like Papers can look very sharp with dress shirts.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See, this I am not quite understanding, that they are seen as mismatched. Personally, I love to wear dress shirts with jeans, and "accessorize" more or less, with sweatshirts, colored shirts underneath, or loose ties. It could be related to my age, but I think nice quality dark wash jeans like Papers can look very sharp with dress shirts.
what type of shoes do you wear with these outfits? can you see how wearing a dress shirt, tie, jeans, and chuck taylors would look silly (or at least childish)? if you wear dress shoes i would say that those clash with jeans. i'm with j. i have nothing against jeans whatsoever (i wear them with sneakers and t-shirts or sweatshirts on days when i just don't give a sh*t) but they are not dressy at all. touch the fabric, look at the stitching, guys who pair them with dress shoes or sportcoats are lying to themselves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads