• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts/tops for tall and skinny guy?

xos1994

Reaction score
First things first, I'm in the UK so please if you can, direct me towards any shops that are available over here :D
I'm 6'3, 11.5 stone and pretty skinny. This has made finding shirts that are the right length (roughly about a medium) and the right bagginess (roughly about a small), even in stores such as River Island and Topman which are aimed at skinny men, pretty difficult. Is there any particular make of top or shop that is particularly good for people of my size?

Cheers

quuz

Reaction score
Im really skinny unforutenely, however ralph laurens slim fit shirts fits me really good! Not sure you can find them in stores in UK since they didnt have any slim fit at their flagship store. Their website has them though!

doughboysc

Reaction score
Why don't you try Turnbull & Asser in London for Bespoke shirts? Very expensive, but a great shirtmakers to Prince Charles!

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why don't you try Turnbull & Asser in London for Bespoke shirts? Very expensive, but a great shirtmakers to Prince Charles!

yes suggest someone who previously shopped at topman and river island and is 18 years old that he gets himself half a dozen bespoke shirts for 400GBP each. sure.
facepalm.gif

My suggestion is, that you should look into Made To Measure. There are many many different MTM shirt sellers online differing vastly in quality and price. However price and quality do not necessarily correlate.

if you are from the UK, have you tried Charles Thyrwitt?

Last edited:

doughboysc

Reaction score
Turnbull & Asser can also do MTM too. Same price as Bespoke. But three shirt minimum for first order.

xos1994

Reaction score
Cheers for the reply guys, found a made to measure that could possibly be within my price range, with postage it comes to £37. Don't know if you know of any that might be slightly cheaper?

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you've never done MTM before head over to moderntailor and get their 19.99USD trial shirt. They offer three different fabrics (white/black poplin and light blue oxford) all of which are rather shittae, but at that price you get a rather nice fitting shirt and a MTM experience. I'm not a fan myself of moderntailor.com however I do recommend their trial shirt because you can't loose. The quality ranks above H&M at Uniqlo level, but is nothing really to write home about. Their higher priced fabrics are not that great either.

A few points of advice:
- don't measure yourself, get a SO,friend or mommy to measure you.
- read read read. all the informations are in the faqs, if you have any questions ask customer service. usually the shirt will arrive exactly as you've ordered it with an infinitesimal margin of error and usually the "fault" will be made on your end.
- for your first shirt go with something simple and cheap, try a standard white poplin shirt with a business collar and sport cuffs, or a light blue oxford button down. don't go too crazy and order a linen cutaway with oxford contrast cloth cuffs and purple buttons.
- be careful when copying your measurement profile from one site to another, read in their FAQs how much movement ease they add at chest, hips and waist level. These measurement additions vary from from site to site.
- most of the online MTMs are ****, there are a few really good ones who play in the same league as high end RTW shirts for twice or thrice the price. I've tried over 15 different ones in the last two years and have quite the collection. Some of the shirts are an insult to tailors across the world and many MTM tailors won't see my business more than once. But I've found my two go to stores now and every month I order 2-3 shirts from them.

After you've gone MTM once you'll never go back to off the rack.

If you want more information hit me up via pm. I'm glad to share all the experiences I've made.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads